How to point subwoofers

justjames

Hey guys,

Any thoughts on the best position to point subwoofers? I have a 5-door hatch and was getting ready to upgrade the stereo system. I'm going smaller this time around (ears feeling effects of long term bass exposure), with 4 8inch woofers. Should they point straight up, toward the back hatch, toward the front of the car, or diagonal toward the back glass?

Thanks
James

I have two 10inch in my 5dr and they face toward the back window, and it hits hard, but my box takes up almost the whole back. how are you going to put them in? cust. or just a box.
I want to put in two cust. 10inch in. one on each side so i can use some of the room back there, if anyone has any ideas or what they did let a brotha know
Castle

justjames said:
Hey guys,

Any thoughts on the best position to point subwoofers? I have a 5-door hatch and was getting ready to upgrade the stereo system. I'm going smaller this time around (ears feeling effects of long term bass exposure), with 4 8inch woofers. Should they point straight up, toward the back hatch, toward the front of the car, or diagonal toward the back glass?

Thanks
James

well for sound purposes it does not matter which way they point because subs emit indirect sound, but im sure you already knew that, it sounds like you know car audio. if i were to place them i would like to see them facing verticle.

Castle said:
I have two 10inch in my 5dr and they face toward the back window, and it hits hard, but my box takes up almost the whole back. how are you going to put them in? cust. or just a box.
I want to put in two cust. 10inch in. one on each side so i can use some of the room back there, if anyone has any ideas or what they did let a brotha know
Castle

Custom box of course! Heh. Wife wanted me to have some room in the back.

I'll most likely face toward the back glass. Just looks much cooler that way. When I get it done, I'll post some pics. Thanks for the feedback Castle.

all I can really tell ya, is...

if you point them towards the back of the car, from the outside you will hear them at the front of the car...
if you point them towards that back of the back seat, fromt eh outside you will hear them from the rear of the car.

first question is why would you care what direction you heard it from outside the car ;)

bass is omnidirectional, but if your dealing with trying to acheive an accurate image, reflections come into play. same thing for spl. generally speaking in a hatch youlle gain the most spl by aiming the subs up into the back glass. adjusting the angle at wich the subs are pointed at the glass can change your db.s. when it comes to sound quality i'd prefer to have the least amount of reflection possible so for a hatch i'd problaby try having the subs at the furthest back of the car facing towards the front of the car. but generally this isnt very practical do to taking up your most useable trunk space

I saw a 3 5dr with a custom 10inch on the left built in to the side its pretty sick. and Im having this dude to draw me up some ideas for a custom box, I will have them monday 28th and Ill keep ya posted
eh!
justjames said:
Custom box of course! Heh. Wife wanted me to have some room in the back.

I'll most likely face toward the back glass. Just looks much cooler that way. When I get it done, I'll post some pics. Thanks for the feedback Castle.

The general rule is to face them toward the back. I would like to face mine up at the glass, but in my case I would break the glass or destroy the seal on the window. I am running (3) 12" Kicker CompVR dual 4ohm VC with a Kicker 600.1 class D mono. I have broken several neons from to much flex. Also my roof flex's about an inch by the sunroof. So I guess it is gonna matter how much power and what kind of subs you are running.

Pete Clark and probably David Navone would probably disgree with it mattering... Corner loading works best... Aime the suns to the back and if possible towrd the rear corners of the car.

-Dean

Back