CX-60 Audio System

This site provided a lot of details regarding the design of the non-Bose audio system along with what was improved from the Mazda3. I provided a better translation below that is easier to understand than the google translated version.

Mazda has been working to design a high-quality audio system for the current Mazda3 and later models by incorporating more effective speaker layouts into the vehicle body design, aiming for the "faithful reproduction of the original sound" and "listening at the desired volume" that many audiophiles consider ideal.

And in the new RWD-based 2-row seat D-segment SUV "CX-60," which went on sale on September 15, this audio system has been taken to the next level!

In Mazda3 and later models, the acoustic characteristics of the front bulkhead area, rear seats, and other interior corners are the "resonance belly" where sound pressure tends to increase, while the front doors are the "resonance nodes" where sound pressure tends to decrease. As a specific measure to enable "listening at the desired volume," the box woofer is placed on the cowl side (at the base of the A-pillar) instead of the front door to increase the reproduction capacity of the low frequency range, while reducing noise and NVH during audio playback.

In the CX-60, the cowl side woofer box capacity has been significantly increased from 3 liters to 4.8 liters by deep-drawing and pressing the steel plates on the cowl side. This has resulted in a wider dynamic range, especially in the low frequency range, while also improving the torsional rigidity of the vehicle body.

In terms of "faithful reproduction of the original sound," from the Mazda3, tweeters for high frequencies are placed on the A-pillars, and screakers for mid frequencies are placed in front of the upper front door panels (and rear doors). In addition to reducing the amount of sound reflected from the windshield, the speakers have been improved so that more of the sound from the speakers reaches the occupants' ears directly.

In the CX-60, the tweeter and screener are positioned to allow sound to reach occupants' ears more directly. In addition, the tweeter is mounted at an angle that allows for greater directivity in the high frequency range. In addition, a sub-cone is placed on the center cap of the screener to reduce the drop in the mid and high frequencies and to ensure a smooth connection with the tweeter sound.

It is not only the speakers that have evolved. In the amplifier, the blend of electrolyte in the capacitors used in the power supply was developed exclusively for Mazda, and a high quality sounding toroidal coil was also used to eliminate noise. For the oscillator, components that minimize information degradation during transmission were also selected. In addition, a function to eliminate quantum noise contained in digital sound sources such as CDs was implemented for the first time in a genuine in-vehicle audio system.

The Mazda Harmonic Acoustics eight-speaker audio system, which is standard equipment in the L Package and lower grades, was used to experience the sound quality in person.

The deep, extended, and natural bass of the bass, bass drum, and congas spread throughout the cabin without any resonance from the instrument panel, and female vocals and acoustic guitar sounds could be heard clearly, down to the most subtle nuances. This is a much closer approach to the ideal audio experience than the Mazda Harmonic Acoustics in the Mazda3 and CX-30.

The BOSE sound system is standard equipment in the 12-speaker Exclusive grade and above, and is also available as a factory-installed option in the S Package and L Package grades.

According to Koji Wakamatsu of the Electronic Performance Development Department of the Integrated System Development Division, which is in charge of audio development for Mazda3 and later models, when the playback mode is set to "Standard," the bass range becomes stronger, but when set to "Linear," it becomes flat, just like Mazda's Harmonic Acoustics. However, if the playback mode is set to "Linear," the characteristics will be flat like Mazda Harmonic Acoustics.

Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to listen to the CX-1000, but if what Mr. Wakamatsu described is correct, we can expect a more faithful reproduction of the original sound than with Mazda's Harmonic Acoustics.

I would buy a CX-60 to get this audio system. It would not be surprising if such a user were to appear.

Surprisingly this topic got zero response other than a few likes. Coming from a Mazda 3 and CX-5 with Bose audio, I must say the audio system of the CX-60 is a significant upgrade. Generally I’m not a big fan of Bose, who tend to pair cheap components with lots of EQ/processing to get an impressive (commercial) sound. However, the 2 woofers in sealed boxes definitely produce tighter bass. The tweeters are better quality than in the CX-5, meaning it sounds vibrant without getting harsh (due to distortion). Needless to say that the Linear setting is preferred for neutral sound.

This site provided a lot of details regarding the design of the non-Bose audio system along with what was improved from the Mazda3. I provided a better translation below that is easier to understand than the google translated version.

Mazda has been working to design a high-quality audio system for the current Mazda3 and later models by incorporating more effective speaker layouts into the vehicle body design, aiming for the "faithful reproduction of the original sound" and "listening at the desired volume" that many audiophiles consider ideal.

And in the new RWD-based 2-row seat D-segment SUV "CX-60," which went on sale on September 15, this audio system has been taken to the next level!

In Mazda3 and later models, the acoustic characteristics of the front bulkhead area, rear seats, and other interior corners are the "resonance belly" where sound pressure tends to increase, while the front doors are the "resonance nodes" where sound pressure tends to decrease. As a specific measure to enable "listening at the desired volume," the box woofer is placed on the cowl side (at the base of the A-pillar) instead of the front door to increase the reproduction capacity of the low frequency range, while reducing noise and NVH during audio playback.

In the CX-60, the cowl side woofer box capacity has been significantly increased from 3 liters to 4.8 liters by deep-drawing and pressing the steel plates on the cowl side. This has resulted in a wider dynamic range, especially in the low frequency range, while also improving the torsional rigidity of the vehicle body.

In terms of "faithful reproduction of the original sound," from the Mazda3, tweeters for high frequencies are placed on the A-pillars, and screakers for mid frequencies are placed in front of the upper front door panels (and rear doors). In addition to reducing the amount of sound reflected from the windshield, the speakers have been improved so that more of the sound from the speakers reaches the occupants' ears directly.

In the CX-60, the tweeter and screener are positioned to allow sound to reach occupants' ears more directly. In addition, the tweeter is mounted at an angle that allows for greater directivity in the high frequency range. In addition, a sub-cone is placed on the center cap of the screener to reduce the drop in the mid and high frequencies and to ensure a smooth connection with the tweeter sound.

It is not only the speakers that have evolved. In the amplifier, the blend of electrolyte in the capacitors used in the power supply was developed exclusively for Mazda, and a high quality sounding toroidal coil was also used to eliminate noise. For the oscillator, components that minimize information degradation during transmission were also selected. In addition, a function to eliminate quantum noise contained in digital sound sources such as CDs was implemented for the first time in a genuine in-vehicle audio system.

The Mazda Harmonic Acoustics eight-speaker audio system, which is standard equipment in the L Package and lower grades, was used to experience the sound quality in person.

The deep, extended, and natural bass of the bass, bass drum, and congas spread throughout the cabin without any resonance from the instrument panel, and female vocals and acoustic guitar sounds could be heard clearly, down to the most subtle nuances. This is a much closer approach to the ideal audio experience than the Mazda Harmonic Acoustics in the Mazda3 and CX-30.

The BOSE sound system is standard equipment in the 12-speaker Exclusive grade and above, and is also available as a factory-installed option in the S Package and L Package grades.

According to Koji Wakamatsu of the Electronic Performance Development Department of the Integrated System Development Division, which is in charge of audio development for Mazda3 and later models, when the playback mode is set to "Standard," the bass range becomes stronger, but when set to "Linear," it becomes flat, just like Mazda's Harmonic Acoustics. However, if the playback mode is set to "Linear," the characteristics will be flat like Mazda Harmonic Acoustics.

Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to listen to the CX-1000, but if what Mr. Wakamatsu described is correct, we can expect a more faithful reproduction of the original sound than with Mazda's Harmonic Acoustics.

I would buy a CX-60 to get this audio system. It would not be surprising if such a user were to appear.
Thanks hoodlum,
Does anyone have detail on speaker sizes and locations in the bose system? I removed a great Sony system from my 6 when I traded it in and am considering installing in the cx-60, as I am not hugely impressed with the bose in a back to back comparison.

Thanks hoodlum,
Does anyone have detail on speaker sizes and locations in the bose system? I removed a great Sony system from my 6 when I traded it in and am considering installing in the cx-60, as I am not hugely impressed with the bose in a back to back comparison.
The only difference with the Bose speakers is the addition of the center channel and the subwoofer

Back