HOW TO: paint interior plastics

Deathspeed

:
mazdaspeed protege
I just recently done this to the plastic piece around the shifter and cupholder. Things needed:
paint (autozone light silver with metal flakes)
400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (any home improvement store or paint supply)
phillips screwdriver
water
lint free cloth
bucket/bowl

Pinch the center of the cupholder and lift up with some force and it will pop right out, then grab your phillips screwdriver and remove the the 4 screws holding in the actual cupholders. Then get your bucket/bowl fill with some water, then grab a piece of your 400 grit sandpaper and dip it in your water and start sanding away, frequently dipping your sandpaper and plastic in the water to rinse off. Ok now that ALL the paint is removed your piece should be all black plastic, make sure you remove all the paint unless you want to be able to see where the old paint is, you will see different layers. Now get FRESH water and your lint free cloth and dip your plastic in the water use hands to get your plastic clean and then wipe dry with lint free cloth. Make sure it is completely dry and you should be ready for paint. Hang your plastic and paint. This part is for people that have never painted. Get your paint can and shake for atleast 1 minute so all the metal flake is mixed good with the paint. Now hold can upright and hold 6 to 10 inches away from plastic and do smooth even left to right strokes (move kinda quick) pause the spray at the end of each motion, go over your plastic ONE time and then walk away let dry so it is a little tacky and then repeat. Personally i would give it like 6-8 good coats or more if needed. OH yeah DON'T let your paint run. Then i would wait like 15-20 minutes to dry then put your screws back and replace your plastic and ENJOY your new looking piece(cool)

Back