How to MS3 Catch Can Install with tons of pics.

I just finished installing my GReddy catch can. I ended up using just one additional PCV valve, not two. I checked to see if my hoses get crushed under vacuum and it doesn't now so I'm hoping it's all good to go. I'm about to go on a test drive for a short while after I sit in front of my friend's A/C unit at her house. I'm not really sure where I got the idea that I needed TWO additional PCVs but I have an extra one here that's just ate up $15 of mine.

Question: If I continue to smoke even after the catch can installation, would that be because of my turbo seals? Could they have been damaged so much that I still smoke?

Okay. I still smoke. I don't think I smoke as much but I do. I don't think I messed up the installation so what else could be the problem? Could my turbo have gone bad?

Okay. I still smoke. I don't think I smoke as much but I do. I don't think I messed up the installation so what else could be the problem? Could my turbo have gone bad?

Yeah that is a good indication that the seals have gone bad. If you still have a warranty then you should bring it to the dealership.. Sadly the oil catch can should definitely come off, along with all your other mods for the visit.

I go to UTI and an instructor told me that even with the bolt-on modifications I have, the turbo should still be covered. For credibility, he did work for Honda for 22 years.

I go to UTI and an instructor told me that even with the bolt-on modifications I have, the turbo should still be covered. For credibility, he did work for Honda for 22 years.

Have you read any warranty posts on this car yet?

Haven't read the warranty fine print, yet, so I guess I can't say much until I get into that.

Some info I forgot to add:
I didn't have a CEL before I put the catch can. After I installed it wrong the first time, I got a CEL soon after. I fixed it last week, but the CEL came back the next day. Maybe I did something wrong so I'm going to have to give it another shot this weekend. Is there a reason why a CEL would appear even if I installed it proper? And if I installed it proper, is it supposed to smoke because I still do quite a lot?

Bump

Plus, if I have a bad turbo, I'd rather go with a new, bigger turbo than reworking my broken one. How do I go about choosing which turbo will fit my car? Please be as detailed as possible since I don't know much about cars.

Last edited:
I installed my catch can last weekend and checked it today and nothing in it. I drive maybe 30 miles a day, shouldn't it have some stuff in it already since I have drove maybe 150 miles?

OCC Irregular Fill Rate

This is a superb write-up! I used it for reference when I installed my OCC (Saikou Michi, Matt Damond kit) last May.

At first, I was getting very little fluid in the OCC. The first three changes (intervals between drains were 932, 1471, and 3348 miles) all generated less than 2 oz. of thin, gritty black fluid that smelled of gasoline. When I let the samples sit overnight, none of them separated.

Then, all of a sudden, I was getting tons! Next OCC drain interval was 1364 miles and I got 12 oz. of fluid. This was in November, so weather was getting colder. Only other difference was that I unscrewed the drain plug on the OCC as much as it would go. Last drain interval was 1633 miles, and I got another 11 oz. of fluid. This time I had to shake the can back and forth (with the drain completely loosened) until I couldn't hear any fluid sloshing around anymore. It seemed to be clogged at the beginning, but once the initial sludge came out (ice? It is January), the rest came out in a torrent. Attached pic shows the result after sitting out for a couple of days. Looks similar to the pic at the top of this thread - reminds me of an upside-down Guinness.

I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't get anything in the can for 5 months and than all of a sudden start collecting this much stuff. More likely my drain technique was off. I would suggest 1) making sure drain is completely unscrewed (something like 10 revolutions IIRC), and 2) shaking the can gently back and forth to dislodge any sludge blocking the drain. #2 will also help discover whether there is fluid in the can. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• P1060905 web.JPG
    P1060905 web.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 282
Back