how to make quiet power?

He lives in Canada so an Sri would prob be a better idea with a lot of snow and salt itl get dirty faster

OP lives in Victoria, it would be similar weather to Seattle so almost no snow and mostly a nice misty rain for the wet days all "winter" he would be fine with a CAI

Here's how to make quiet power... with an OEM silencer so that if you get pulled over you can say:''It's stock sir, it is a Mazda OEM part!!!''

First you need to get an OEM silencer that you open at the back and you get it empty. Then you take a hole-saw to cut a 2.5'' hole at the exit to get a complete 2.5'' exhaust line. And from 2'' to 2.5'' there's not a big difference so the police won't notice. Then you take a 2.5'' exhaust pipe that you make 2 small bends to be exactly like OEM. After that you but a good 1'' thick of steel whool against the inside walls of the silencer so that it eats sound and wont caught fire cauz it's steel. You then have to put a grille (I took a stainless grille so it wont rust) to keep that steel whool against the walls. So it looks like this for now: (I painted mine with high temp flat black paint)
DSC01089.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

Then you have to cut a piece of metal sheet to close the rear end of the silencer. You will make a 2.5'' hole to weld in the exhaust pipe inlet. I put one small thin piece of steel whool retained by a little piece of my stainless grille just to be sure It wont make a cheap tomato juice can noise.
DSC01087.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

Finally you close the rear end with high heat silicone and metal screws
DSC01094.jpg

You have now a ''stupid-cop-proof'' exhaust because the pipes inside it are crossed so that the police will not get through with his stick, OEM so it's 100% legal, anywas it's not noisy but still almost 100% full flow.

That's what I made to my car and I love it, I jut put a stainless steel tip to make it look clean.

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01382.jpg

Yaaaa or just get the electronic thing that lets you go from stock to custom exhaust at the flip of a switch. Less money less work and you can make it quiet or loud and free flowing at will

Clement - Thats really awesome you took apart your muffler just to show me how. Seriously, I appreciate you uploading all that info for me. It seems your cops are really nasty - none would poke a stick into my muffler on these shores. Would you say your custom exhaust is quieter than other after market 2.5" exhausts?

Are those big brakes you have on the front? What size are the brakes and the wheels? Also, what is that ring thing on the left side of the rear bumper?

Last edited:
I didn't took it appart, I just took pictures of it when I built it last spring.

This exhaust is as noisy as the OEM silencer.

My front brakes comes from a MS6, they're 12.9" I think and you need 17" wheels minimum. I put those brakes like 4-5 years ago, I was the first in Quebec to try this option.

The ring is a Benen Industries tow hook.

It's really all in the tune. For bolt ons if your wanting to make that much power safely without forging I would suggest

Steed speed mani
Pope intake mani
Turbo back exhaust
Intake
Electronic boost controller ( not manual)
Ssafc
Port/ polish head
Very very good tune
Fmic

Those should get you there and maybe more

Get rid of the head work, and intake manifold, and you have my mods, minus the methanol, and stand-alone, and I made 241whp/268lb./ft

You could get 220whp with those same mods on a SSAFC without the meth or stand-alone.

Knox Joe - thanks for your input. that's exactly what I've been aiming for. Can you tell me:

- what is your exhaust? - size, with or without cat/resonator/muffler?
- how loud is your car?
- what is your boost?
- is it good as a daily driver?

Yea, that's the first time I've heard about messing with the fuel pump because of a change in exhaust. That honestly doesn't make any sense. I haven't been around these cars for ever, but I've been around import, fuel injection, and Japanese cars for 10 years, and almost all cars are fine on the stock fuel pump with bolt on and stock injectors.

yeah totally agree u do not need a fuel pump just because u added a downpipe haah these threads make me laugh so hard ! ...

dude quiet power is easy

mods in order u should get them
sri because if ur to lazy to clean filters then the injen cold air is not for u since the filter in by the wheel well and not easily reached
turboback exhaust add some resonators and a highflow cat ull be quiet
upgrade intercooler pipes to hardpipes or do a fmic conversion looks nicer and allot more functional
upgrade bov to a forge bybass valve dont get anything that is vta ull need to relocate the maf and those bov are way to loud and ricer
upgrade the stock wastegate stock one sucks and get a boost gauge so u kno how much ur boosting and can adjust properly
upgrade ur stock intake mani to a 626 thats ported or polished or port and polish the factory one
port and polish the stock exhaust mani its the best way to go it will never crack on u compared to tubular manis gains will be minimal but everything counts

ohh and fuel pump dont forget the fuel pump
do all this all ull be good

Knox Joe - thanks for your input. that's exactly what I've been aiming for. Can you tell me:

- what is your exhaust? - size, with or without cat/resonator/muffler?
- how loud is your car?
- what is your boost?
- is it good as a daily driver?

3" Perrin j-back, w/ pope do. No cat, with a vibrant resonator, and the perrin muffler.
Loud.
11.3 psi was the highest on the 241whp dyno run.
No, lol.

yeah totally agree u do not need a fuel pump just because u added a downpipe haah these threads make me laugh so hard ! ...

dude quiet power is easy

sri because if ur to lazy to clean filters then the injen cold air is not for u since the filter in by the wheel well and not easily reached
upgrade intercooler pipes to hardpipes or do a fmic conversion looks nicer and allot more functional
upgrade bov to a forge bybass valve dont get anything that is vta ull need to relocate the maf and those bov are way to loud and ricer
upgrade the stock wastegate stock one sucks and get a boost gauge so u kno how much ur boosting and can adjust properly
upgrade ur stock intake mani to a 626 thats ported or polished or port and polish the factory one
port and polish the stock exhaust mani its the best way to go it will never crack on u compared to tubular manis gains will be minimal but everything counts

How the hell is a vta bov rice? It's only rice if your na and you get the fake electric bov

The stock mani is cast iron right? It WILL crack eventually. And porting and polishing an exhaust Mani is pretty much pointless.

Lol come on bro vta bov are sooo rice besides the op wants quiet power and port and polish will benifit any manifold weather its 1hp or not its a gain so that statement is wrong ......

And yess a casted mani will crack but a tubular mani will crack ten times faster
I went thru 3 tubular manis on my 25psi evo ended up with a extremly ported stocker never cracked and its not all flashy

Note .. I work for a testing company all we do is testing I test casts welds turbines etc a good cast will allways beat a weld.

Dude quiet power is easy

wth!!

Lol come on bro vta bov are sooo rice besides the op wants quiet power and port and polish will benifit any manifold weather its 1hp or not its a gain so that statement is wrong ......

And yess a casted mani will crack but a tubular mani will crack ten times faster
I went thru 3 tubular manis on my 25psi evo ended up with a extremly ported stocker never cracked and its not all flashy

Note .. I work for a testing company all we do is testing I test casts welds turbines etc a good cast will allways beat a weld.

No it's not some people like vta. And there is no being quite under boost bpv,vta, stock or aftermarket intake etc.

Polishing an exhaust manifold won't do anything it will just get coverd in carbon. Porting it can give an increase if it's done right if it's done wrong it will hurt performance and it wouldn't be worth taking to a pro for 1-2 hp

Hey hey hey I'm not bashing bro I had a vta tial on my evo loved it but it wasn't all dramatic like the hks or greddy vtas to each there own I was just saying to go bypass since he wants to be quiet there's nothing wrong with a lil bit of rice look at my welcome thread that evo was nothing but rice

Depends on how good the tool was that welded it. If you suck at welding yeah its going to crack faster.

If you want quiet I suggest 2 resonators. My Greddy sp2 has 2 and its very subdued during normal driving.

Latest posts

Back