HOW-TO: Install a MX-6 Rear Strut Tower Bar in a Protege5

Got the ebay special. Sort of flimsy rod but now that I have it all set up I can get better parts if I really feel the need.

I did not jack up the car because of the following:
1. right and left bar mounting bolts are right an left threaded. You mount left and right sides and then grab the bar and twist and it pushes the end mounts away or closer, hence, tightening and "loading the bar.
2. I cranked it down to a point where I could feel the center of the bar was slightly bowing which means it's totally loaded. Since it is an ebay bar I decided not to push the limit. If I had that beefy bar I see then it'd be different.

Tips:
A. Use an adjustable wrench as stated earlier to bend the braket up while it is still on the car, super easy + gives you all the room you need.

B. Orient the bar so that the widest part is facing the back of the car. I think this is structurally better as the loads move up and down.

C. To find the best spot to drill, mount the brackets, install the front side of the panel as best you can and make sure it is just about to slide perfectly into place but is resisted by the bracket. Then reach back and mark the back of the panel with a sharpie.

D. Cut out a 2" hole centered around that spot. If you uninstall and want to sell, remember that you can cut the hole out to 2.25" and use some stock plastic circle plugs to make it look factory again.

2056679_41_full.jpg

2056679_41_full.jpg

Im confused though? (scratch)

Why would you have the widest part of the bar facing the front and back of the car, instead of flat like most strut bars are set?

Does anyone else with a "robust" rear strut bar experience any skittishness/roughness with it installed? The last 5-6 months have been fairly rough and I'm attributing it mostly due to the bar.

Wow, I wish I found this thread a few weeks ago when I installed mine! I plasti-dipped my RSB black to keep it low key and it turned out super clean.

Back