How to install a Blinking Fake alarm LED>??

Hello , my car was recently broken-into. I'm looking to install a blinking led light. I know how to connect to power, but how do i make the light blink when car is off?

Update with pics

Update.
I installed mine, pics attached.
P1030190.JPG
P1030192.JPG

For power sources:
(see fuse panel chart on page 6-11 of 2000 Protege manual)
Ignition-on wire: used position 7 in the fuse panel, just inserted the wire with the fuse.
Always-on wire: I attached a spade connector to the wire, then connected to the LEFT side blade in the unmarked spot above position 16.

Easy. Works great.

Blinking Fake Alarm Help

Update.
I installed mine, pics attached.
View attachment 191704
View attachment 191705

For power sources:
(see fuse panel chart on page 6-11 of 2000 Protege manual)
Ignition-on wire: used position 7 in the fuse panel, just inserted the wire with the fuse.
Always-on wire: I attached a spade connector to the wire, then connected to the LEFT side blade in the unmarked spot above position 16.

Easy. Works great.

Hi:

Came across your post and I'd like to do what you did (just running wires straight to the fuse box and putting the blinking light on the left side of the steering wheel). I need some clarification as to the names of the fuse positions you ran your wires to.

Exactly which "positions 7 & 16" correlate to in the fuse box (ignition, instrument panel, etc)? I searched for the 2000 Protege manual and what I found looks only slightly different than that for my 2002 Mazda Protege5, although our actual fuse boxes have the same layout, but where the red wire/black square is inserted into your Position 7 is not the same as what's listed as Position 7 in either manual's schematic. So our fuse boxes look the same but I'm confused by your numbering.

What is that black square, because it look more substantial than just inserting a wire into the fuse?

I appreciate the info you've already shared and hope you will provide some more HELP!!

Thank you!

Last edited:
I no longer own the car so I'm going off memory. I'm not sure that both wires associated with the fake alarm are shown in that pic. The "black square" you are referring to is a Add-A-Circuit fuse tap which I think is the power source for other projects- I added two extra 12V power ports, and I added a auto-dimming compass mirror, but I forget the sequence in time and exactly what I did. Sorry that I can't confirm the wiring. Helps to have a multi-meter to test the various open fuse positions.

Fake Alarm Thanks

I no longer own the car so I'm going off memory. I'm not sure that both wires associated with the fake alarm are shown in that pic. The "black square" you are referring to is a Add-A-Circuit fuse tap which I think is the power source for other projects- I added two extra 12V power ports, and I added a auto-dimming compass mirror, but I forget the sequence in time and exactly what I did. Sorry that I can't confirm the wiring. Helps to have a multi-meter to test the various open fuse positions.

Thank you for your quick reply. So if both wires of the fake alarm aren't shown in the pic, then that would explain why there appears to be no wire attached to position 7 (aha!).

I appreciate it. Thank you!

Last edited:
I saw the battery-powered light and considered it, but I know me, and I'd forget to turn it on!

I've also seen a solar-powered LED on eBay that you can stick wherever you want.

Thank you for the suggestion

Back