How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

I'm thinking of removing my tube completely as well. I'll just put a bolt into the hole on the manifold, and have my header welded up. I'll leave all electronics intact.

I don't understand why anybody would want to remove their egr valve. It is a very needed part to your motor! the purpose of it i believe is mainly emissions but it also serves as a sort of safety device for our turbo motors. Its works by recirculating exhaust gas into the intake. The exhaust gas is 'inert" so when it is being put through the combustion chamber it doesn't really do anything but take up space. Recirculating the already burnt gases allows for the motor to put a smaller amount of unburnt air/ fuel into the motor thus keeping temps in the motor down. This could help prevent any pre-ignition tradgedies for our motors as well as making it run more efficiently. I used to have an older car w/ EGR problems so instead of replacing the valve I made some plates and blocked it off. Every time I would pull a big hill I could hear my motor knocking like crazy bc of the valve not being there. Just My .02 cents

Anyone know what conditions close the EGR valve? I'll check the FSM later tonight, but just curious.

i had a spool turbo kit on my mp3 and it required a closed egr tube. with this set up came a lot of detonation. when i got the wagner kit with an egr bung, i replaced the tube and my car runs better. keep up with the egr valve. it will save your engines!!!!!!

Cleaned my EGR, removed VTCS, oiled EGR well and still have the rough idle. I don't have an MSP, but I thought it might fix my problem after filling up. No go. As far as I can tell, it did next to nothing. It was pretty gummed up, and now it's like ******* CLEAN inside that you could eat off it, but still having rough idle problem...

I must finished cleaning my egr. Looked like the one in the 1st pic. Took longer than expected, because the 2 12mm bolts are at a bad angle, and there was a ton of hoses and stuff in the way. Other than that, it went back together quickly. I will know tomorrow if my idle clears up.

Thanks for the how-to!

Just drove this morning to work. Major improvement on the vibration! i am so glad I did this. Thanks for a great how-to!!!

b00sted said:
can i clean it with engine cleaner? i have something called "Engine Brite"

I would just use a good carb spray and some oil to lube it. I did the cleaning, and it worked. Gunk Engine Brite is a degreaser. It will help on the outside, but not the inside. The carbon buildup I got after 27K was pretty high. Used the steps here, and it worked.

I have 86 000 km and my car started spazzing on idle sometimes . So im gonna get it cleaned . The dealer told me to change it but its quite expensive . I dont get any check engine either . That problem came sorthly after i installed my SRI .

Nos said:
I have 86 000 km and my car started spazzing on idle sometimes . So im gonna get it cleaned . The dealer told me to change it but its quite expensive . I dont get any check engine either . That problem came sorthly after i installed my SRI .

No need to take it to the stealership. It can be cleaned. I found the bolts holding it to the intake to be a b**** to remove, but it is all a matter of the angle you have the ratchet on it. Once te 2 bolts came off, it was 20 minutes tops to clean it and reinstall it.

Back