Front left & right window motor @ 115k
Coolant flush @ 125k
Starter @ 130k
Brakes and tires @ 145k
Spark plugs @ 155k
#1 and #5 injectors @ 155k
Coolant flush @ 155k
Transmission drain and fill @ 155k

Car has been very reliable and we have driven from Miami to Los Angeles and back... several times. Make sure you keep up with the cooling system in oder to avoid any issues with the internal water pump :(

Last edited:
For what it is worth, ive owned 3 mazda products with a 2015 and 2016 currently in the family.

1984 626 with manual transmission. Owned 11 years and changed clutch periodically fuel pump, master cylinder, cv joints once during its life. Sold to co worker who drove it 7 more years which body held up just as well He and I still laugh and joke about how good that car was.

That car is why I bought a CX9 2015 for myself and CX5 2016 for daughter. No mechanicals, no warranty (air bag recalls) issues. Dependable, reliable, all the things I needed in basic transportation.

I will say the CX5 is a LOT quieter than CX9 and much more fuel efficient. I offer to trade with my daughter and she doesn't accept.

2019 cx-9 with just 20k miles.

So far worst reliability out of 4 different cars with turbo Di engines I had or helped to maintain. Most importantly got an issue that required towing out of nowhere. I try to know and maintain my cars well so I can rely on them in long trips - therefore this is unacceptable. For comparison - I owned a second hand 4yo Passat b6 for 6 years. That thing had some minor but stupid problems like leaking washer tank or door handle issues - but it was able to get me out of Yellowstone to Seattle with one broken axle and I didn't even noticed. I got Mazda only because VW Arteon got delayed for almost two years. Now it seems like I will trade in cx-9 for Arteon.

issues:
1. Oil dilution issue. Getting 5% dilution in 2500m. Dealer changed injectors - not fixed.
2. around 14k car just stopped with check engine, super rough idle, max speed of 15-20mph. Had to tow to dealer. It took them 3 week to locate some failing engine harness.

Dealer ignores me now.

So far worst reliability out of 4 different cars with turbo Di engines I had or helped to maintain. Most importantly got an issue that required towing out of nowhere. I try to know and maintain my cars well so I can rely on them in long trips - therefore this is unacceptable. For comparison - I owned a second hand 4yo Passat b6 for 6 years. That thing had some minor but stupid problems like leaking washer tank or door handle issues - but it was able to get me out of Yellowstone to Seattle with one broken axle and I didn't even noticed. I got Mazda only because VW Arteon got delayed for almost two years. Now it seems like I will trade in cx-9 for Arteon.

issues:
1. Oil dilution issue. Getting 5% dilution in 2500m. Dealer changed injectors - not fixed.
2. around 14k car just stopped with check engine, super rough idle, max speed of 15-20mph. Had to tow to dealer. It took them 3 week to locate some failing engine harness.

Dealer ignores me now.

Sad to hear about your bad recent experience with the CX9...can‘t blame you for feeling that way. I’ve had my 2017 CX9 for 3.5yrs and it’s been trouble free for me...I guess there are some bad apples out for every bunch and no vehicle is perfect or immune to any type of issue. Good luck in getting it fixed and eventually in getting another vehicle in future!

issues:

Dealer ignores me now.

Were you ever able to confirm whether they changed one or all injectors? In one of your previous posts you mentioned that you weren't sure.

Have you escalated your issues to Mazda Corporate? Or tried a different Mazda dealer?

I have gen 1 and back in the day someone would post about their lemon. It happens. My 2008 fwd GT with 104k is still going strong. They don't make them like they used to.

This thread is still alive!

I posted back in Nov. 2011 (post# 16), and complained about 2 issues in the 2 years I've owned my 2008 CX9 GT. But, 10 years later... I still own the car, and have not had any other problems.
You don't have "bsm off" flashing at you when it is warm outside?

Back