How many miles on your CX-5 turbo?

2021 with 50k miles. Only issue is it burns oil pretty quick but I hear that's a common problem with my year. I just top it off after 4000 miles after an oil change.
It sounds like you would fall under the TSB for oil usage. I would suggest you get in and have the car looked at as you are getting close to the powertrain warranty limit 5yr/60k.

What is a TSB?

Technical Service Bulletin. It's a document that Mazda techs can refer to when a customer comes into the dealership with an issue. The service reps can do a search in their database for certain keywords - in this case, "oil burning", or "low oil" - and they'll get a list of applicable TSBs. Then they'll go through the TSBs to see if there is one related to your issue. If there is, the tech can use it to confirm the diagnosis and then complete the repair, usually with some instructions included in the reference.

Another way to look at it is that a TSB is an acknowledgment that there is a problem, and that the manufacturer has some sort of a solution to that problem. It's different from a recall in many ways, the main one being that a TSB repair is not always covered by warranty. So in your case, if you were out of warranty and you went to the dealership with this issue, they would know exactly how to fix it from the TSB, but you may have to cover the cost of the repair (unless they're feeling generous and they goodwill the repair for you).

What is a TSB?
TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin issued by the car manufacture for the resolution of their common problems to be used by the dealer service personnel.

Here is the related TSB for oil consumption issue on 2021 CX-5 with 2.5T:

TSB No. 01-003/23: Engine Oil Level Warning Light On with DTC P250F:00 Due To Low Engine Oil Level

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and an engine oil level warning light on in the instrument cluster with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory, and the oil level has actually decreased to near low.
• DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low
This is caused by an oil consumption increase due to damage of the valve seals on the exhaust side. To eliminate this concern, the design of these valve seals has been modified.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.”

Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

Last edited:
42,700 miles, Zero issues. Will probably trade it in the next couple months on a new CX-5.
Powertrain warranty will expire next year and don't want to deal with the cracked head issue just in case.

And those old turbos needed a proper cool down after each drive. I owned a '91 Eagle Talon TSI and a "95 Mitsu Eclipse GSX back in the day. Bought both new. I was always worried about shutting them off and damaging their turbos. They've come a long way!
Whoa, a fellow 4g63 owner!
Had a moderately modified 95 GST :cool:
I really loved that car

Technical Service Bulletin. It's a document that Mazda techs can refer to when a customer comes into the dealership with an issue. The service reps can do a search in their database for certain keywords - in this case, "oil burning", or "low oil" - and they'll get a list of applicable TSBs. Then they'll go through the TSBs to see if there is one related to your issue. If there is, the tech can use it to confirm the diagnosis and then complete the repair, usually with some instructions included in the reference.

Another way to look at it is that a TSB is an acknowledgment that there is a problem, and that the manufacturer has some sort of a solution to that problem. It's different from a recall in many ways, the main one being that a TSB repair is not always covered by warranty. So in your case, if you were out of warranty and you went to the dealership with this issue, they would know exactly how to fix it from the TSB, but you may have to cover the cost of the repair (unless they're feeling generous and they goodwill the repair for you).
Thank you this is really helpful information. I thought I would just have to live with this. I’m going to take it to a Mazda dealership and see if they will repair this issue.

Thank you this is really helpful information. I thought I would just have to live with this. I’m going to take it to a Mazda dealership and see if they will repair this issue.

I believe the condition to have this issue taken care of is just a low oil light. It sounds like you routinely have to top up your oil every 4k, so I would just skip the top up and schedule a service appointment as soon as you see the low oil light. As soon as they see the low oil light in person, they should approve the repair under warranty. (y)

Under 10,000 on my CX five turbo. But my last one was a 2019 with over 45,000 miles before it was totaled and the motor was 100% as was a majority of the car except for the damage but because of all the new technology they freaking total loss.

15,502 trouble free miles on my 23 Turbo. It’s a little beast when fed 93 octane!
I’ve owned turbos most of my life and had exactly one issue. I did blow a seal on my 1987 Buick Grand National which led to oil in the inter cooler. However that was my fault for pushing the limits of the boost with a special chip. Many cars and years later, I am still a fan of turbos.

15,502 trouble free miles on my 23 Turbo. It’s a little beast when fed 93 octane!
I’ve owned turbos most of my life and had exactly one issue. I did blow a seal on my 1987 Buick Grand National which led to oil in the inter cooler. However that was my fault for pushing the limits of the boost with a special chip. Many cars and years later, I am still a fan of turbos.
I had one issue with the mazda p5. Was running high boost levels (in the winter on a t3/t4) around the time spring shortly after spring? I decided to go with a custom runnin 2.5” exhaust, IC piping, etc. all mandrel bent and Cobb turning. We made a heat shield for the turbo but Wound up pushing to heard and it crack ed brass fittings oil inlet. to mount it and cracked the oil intake line.

The thing that worries me the most is the direction induction force ignition which causes carbon buildup. So these cars by engineer start standpoint are not meant to go 100,000 miles from factory if you want to get it past that or at least to that number you’re gonna have to Change all the lifetime fluids and stay on top of the maintenance.

I. That’s why I try to use top-tier premium fuel.
Two. That’s why every 3rd oil i used the CRC intake/turbo & put BG 44K. Than after driving for less then ~500 miles with me beating on the car and have them do oils change. Alternating I plan on installing a methanol injection kit alongside of the JB four as long as it permits when the low level light comes on the JB before switches to a regular map rather than the super hot map that’s tuned on the dino for Max power.

After about 5 to 600 miles I add Lucas to top it out and make sure that I’m maxed out all the stuff really does work I’ve seen it firsthand.
I would not use it as a replacement for engine oil as it is super expensive, and I just go with whatever the dealer recommends based off of the owners manual ( which tends to be a manual blend). I don’t use much of the Lucas, but I bought the big bottle so this way every oil change or any dip in/leak I can always add it in to get it back up to 100%. Not that it’s been an issue yet

Pretty sure most folks here know how I feel about "The myth of the turbo"...didn't we just discuss this? :D
70,000 miles on my Volvo turbo.
120K miles on my previous Saab original turbo before I traded her in.

Knocks on wood: I'm on 26K miles. Zero issues thus far.

BTW, it's pretty well established that turbo charged engines simply do not last as long as NA engines due to the higher pressures increasing wear on the engine. That's not a Mazda thing, that's a turbo thing. I have no idea how to quantify that difference in engine lifetime though.
I disagree. I drove my first Audi (2008 A4 2.oT ) for 145k Miles trouble free. Didn't burn oil and I drove the piss out of it. I changed the full syn oil every 6k miles and did all Audi recommended services. Only thing I ever had to do on that car was at 100k Miles Timing Belt, Water Pump and Cam Follower for the HPFP. My 2015 S3 was flawless up to 5o k miles until I got T-Boned by a red light runner. My existing 2018 A4 S Line Quattro 2.oT with a Stage One Tune and many other goodies has been flawless as well. It's all about taking care of the car properly.

Pretty sure most folks here know how I feel about "The myth of the turbo"...didn't we just discuss this? :D
70,000 miles on my Volvo turbo.
120K miles on my previous Saab original turbo before I traded her in.
Exactly.

2019 CX5, 7200 miles. Just got it about 2 weeks ago and enjoying it!

And I thought my 2019 GTR has low miles, 13,850 miles & I'll have it 4 years in 2 weeks.
Sounds low to me. Our 21 GTR just passed 20k and I don't drive it a lot. Now I do have a 2006 BMW M Roadster with just over 20k as well....

I just hit 1000 miles today on the way into work. I've ran one tank of 93 and drove a lil aggressive at times. Thinking about calling to schedule the first oil change. I'm not going to make it to the recommended service mileage. I want to get that old oil out :) I'm avg. 25 mpg on the 1000 miles so far. Little disappointing overall with that and I hope it creeps up as miles go up.

I just hit 1000 miles today on the way into work. I've ran one tank of 93 and drove a lil aggressive at times. Thinking about calling to schedule the first oil change. I'm not going to make it to the recommended service mileage. I want to get that old oil out :) I'm avg. 25 mpg on the 1000 miles so far. Little disappointing overall with that and I hope it creeps up as miles go up
Depends on the type of driving and how aggressively you drive. Highway driving at 70mph or so will yield the best results. City driving? Not so much.

Back