How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

OK Iv'e just got back from viewing the new Nissan Qashqai. It's a beautiful car and a big improvement on the old model (which I traded in for my CX 5) The quality of the new Qashqai is amazing. I'm very tempted to return to Nissan.

Had a look at the car Buyer video review and it looks a quality package. Nissans tend to be bullet proof build quality, might even be tempted myself if it wasn't for the cost of refitting the disabled hoist. How does it compare overall size wise/ rear 3/4 visibility?

Last edited:
OK Iv'e just got back from viewing the new Nissan Qashqai. It's a beautiful car and a big improvement on the old model (which I traded in for my CX 5) The quality of the new Qashqai is amazing. I'm very tempted to return to Nissan.

If they did a decent sized diesel or petrol engine I would have seriously considered waiting for the new model rather than ordering the CX5 in December. The new model was announced just as we were looking into buying a new car and I was tempted to wait but then heard the engines only go up to 1.6cc....

My thoughts too, a 2-litre option should be offered. Having said that the new Kuga has the ecoboost 1.6 petrol and that pushes what is a big car along nicely.

So maybe the future is big car, small engine shaped?

I won't be buying any 1.6 petrol or diesel, I need power to pull a 1565kg caravan, and more importantly torque.

None of the new Nissan engines are going to offer 280 pound feet, let alone 310.
I could cope with 250 pound feet providing it was delivered at around 1500rpm or lower if its petrol.

I'm test driving both Diesels on Sunday. So i'll report back but it does depend on what you need out of an engine.

I have had 2 Qashqai's the 5 seater and then a7 seater both good cars I would never run them down, but am sure would not go back to them after having a Mazda. I have been very lucky with my new cars this is number 9 in 24 years, but there is nearly always something on the last car I wish was on this car, my previous car a Peugeot 3008 had windows and mirrors that closed up from the key fob. a Volvo had a fold down hook in back of the drivers seat for shopping bags and a clip on the windscreen for parking tickets. But I still love this CX5.

Having done many miles over the last few years as a passenger in a Qashqai I really like the car but there are two simple reasons why I wouldn't have one, either the outgoing or incoming model.

1). Engine power, anything under 150bhp just doesn't do it for me, I want the extra power for overtaking (that's also a reason why I never considered a Hyundai or Kia)

2) the Qashqai is smaller in just about every dimension, especially the boot, my best friend use to have real problems fitting one large suitcase and his golf gear in the car, no such problems in the Cx5 .

If ever I decide to look at something smaller and less powerful then the Qashqai would certainly be up there but right now it doesn't even make my starting list.

The only problem I have with Nissans is their tie up with Renault. I owned a Nissan Navara (from new) and I had various electrical problems from washer fluid motor to central locking ECU packing up and even worse, the 4 wheel drive system had to have the electrical control replaced as it would select low instead of high....not good.

So personally I would never have another Nissan whilst they are tied to Renault.

I understand what you are saying. BUT....They don't leak!......I think I have been unlucky with my CX 5 as it would appear I'm the only one with a built in hot tub. Lets see what the dealer can do. I have to give them a go at sorting it.

Last edited:
Having done many miles over the last few years as a passenger in a Qashqai I really like the car but there are two simple reasons why I wouldn't have one, either the outgoing or incoming model.

1). Engine power, anything under 150bhp just doesn't do it for me, I want the extra power for overtaking (that's also a reason why I never considered a Hyundai or Kia)

2) the Qashqai is smaller in just about every dimension, especially the boot, my best friend use to have real problems fitting one large suitcase and his golf gear in the car, no such problems in the Cx5 .

If ever I decide to look at something smaller and less powerful then the Qashqai would certainly be up there but right now it doesn't even make my starting list.

Im with you on this especially the BHP. They can throw all the bells and whistles on the car but they dont make up for engine capacity and output and the internal dimensions!

Also the CX5 is still by far the better looking car!

I spec'd up a Qashqai today out of sheer curiousity and for the spec I want with a decent service and warranty its over 34,000 which is totally unacceptable. If the Sport Nav CX5 had a panoramic sun roof it would be perfect as its the only option I think is missing!

A 1.6DCI engine just doesnt cut it for me. Not to mention the fact my bro in law was a nissan technician for years and has told me all sorts of horror stories about their service levels!

I understand what you are saying. BUT....They don't leak!......I think I have been unlucky with my CX 5 as it would appear I'm the only one with a built in hot tub. Lets see what the dealer can do. I have to give them a go at sorting it.

I think you are unlucky with your water leak - hopefully your dealer can sort it for you. We have had a lot (and I mean a lot) of rain here in Suffolk over the past couple of months, and huge puddles on the roads and I have no water coming in - the car also stands on the drive in the wet.
Also, I am fortunate that I have no rattles, bonnet shake or door mirror shake.
All manufactures have problems with quality control occasionally, even the expensive German brands.
After 30 Peugeots in 30 years, most of them new or ex-demos, I am really pleased with my change of brand - yes I miss some of the "extras" that I had with the Peugeots (panoramic sunroof; puddle lights; auto closing door mirrors when locking the car), but the driving experience in the CX-5 is brilliant and I don't see me going back to Peugeot any time soon.

Still liking the cx-5. oil level problem appears to be fixed rattle from overhead console not. Paid 141.09 for 1st year service. running costs low. Fully comp insurance 339 with 100 excess and protected ncd. Can probably get than under 300 at renewal time. car tax 30 and 45+ mpg wherever I drive. It handles great and the engine is a peach.

My insurance renewed at xmas was 197.30, no excess full comp and only 65 for the screen, and protected with Hastings direct, I could have had a cheaper option at 150 with the same company but took the dearer option with more extras.

Took it through comparethemarket.
Rias wanted 330 to renew.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/85327/nissan-qashqai-2014-video-review

Nice 7" nav screen, but under powered car with 1.2 petrol, more powerful 1.6 petrol around 161ps due out later this year, turbo of cause.

Led lights and heated front screen on top models.

Last edited:
My insurance renewed at xmas was 197.30, no excess full comp and only 65 for the screen, and protected with Hastings direct, I could have had a cheaper option at 150 with the same company but took the dearer option with more extras.

Took it through comparethemarket.
Rias wanted 330 to renew.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/85327/nissan-qashqai-2014-video-review

Nice 7" nav screen, but under powered car with 1.2 petrol, more powerful 1.6 petrol around 161ps due out later this year, turbo of cause.

Led lights and heated front screen on top models.

Just had a quote from mazda insurance, a link from mazda.co.uk. 250 insurance excess protection. guaranteed repair at mazda authorized garage and fitting mazda only parts. 252.03 business use is on that and 10K miles p.a. europe cover too swiftcover have lost my business 359 renewal they quoted. they also charge about 20 to add cover abroad when I travel to the continent.

I saw hastings on comparethemarket I was looking at their premium cover as it had european cover, but that was about 275 for me.

The original QQ was too small, too low, not enough power and ended up being too common on the roads for me. The Ssangyong Korando was more likely to get my vote than a QQ, there is a dealer down the road from the mazda dealer. All i need is something like a cx-3 to replace my other halfs car. just put what you save on purchase pirce toward the bigger fuel bills :)

Auto Express 2014 Driver Survey. In here because it is a Brit thing.

I've just done mine and made a bit of a point regards the TomTom issues we all enjoyed.

Feel free to say your bit, all adds to the results. SURVEY HERE In 2013 the CX-5 came 6th overall, and top of the Crossover section.

Alex

Last edited:
Hi,
Strange thing happened yesterday. We had a short, sharp thunderstorm lasting about 5 minutes with the lightning no nearer than a couple of miles away. There was quite intense rain and gusty winds, but no stronger than we've had (in Gloucestershire) during the last month - anyway, the car alarm went off. As it was parked in the drive, no problem, just cancelled it with the remote. But odd and I wonder what was the cause. Anyone had anything similar?

On the subject of insurance.

I use the AA as a broker, have done for years, and this year they wanted 447.01 with full NCD, one named driver (spouse) Miles less than 13k per year, all with LVE (Liverpool Victoria)

So, stuff that, went on line with my bank, filled in the same criteria as I use with the AA; 197.01 and guess what, LVE insurance??? How does that work???

One simple operation & 250 saved. Bizarre or what!

Alex

Latest posts

Back