How hard would it be to convert a 5 from Automatic to 5 speed?

1WICKED6

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Hey I was wondering how hard it would be to convert an automatic 5 to 5 speed...I love my 5 but really miss rowing thru my own gears and the manu matic isnt the same. Anyone ever try this or know someone who has? I've seen 5 speeds on ebay but I really like it in white and it would probably be cheaper to have someone convert it over..or am I wrong?(drive2)

All righty then.....cant stomach selling my 5 so I guess I'm stuck with an automatic...cuz I have better luck of hitting the Lotto than I do of finding a 5 speed White Mazda 5 with Low Miles. Just asking....Thanks for the feedback.(rockon)

I envy them as well. I *really* wanted a stick-shift new 5, so Sport's all there is here, and that's what I bought. Woulda been great to get a swell deal on a Touring or Grand Touring with luxo features...but I really wanted a m/t.

Base price of a Sport and GT at the moment are about USD $5K apart. I planned on a few upgrades when I bought it to get some of the GT-goodness installed, but don't plan on five grand's worth. Natch, the resale value will likely not keep pace (my Sport with aftermarket upgrades vs. a gen-u-ine GT with factory equip) but the plan is to own this vehicle long-term anyhow. May as well enjoy it.

Foglights (easy, OEM Mazda); leather seats (not cheap, but all the colors of the rainbow available) w/heaters (hi-lo settings on aftermarket ones); some killer, modern, highly integrated navi head unit mit iPod, bluetooth, and USB capabilities (many choices); tinted glass; HID's (yeah, aftermarket ones won't have a height adjuster or housing optimized for them but if they're as good as the ones I've installed on two other vehicles it'll be good enough).

The sunroof on our CX-7 was opened twice I think in the 3 years we drove it; and I actually like the 5 better w/o the sidesills and rear spoiler. So no upgrade needs there. Heated mirrors would be nice, haven't looked into installing those, and I've never had rain-sensing wipers so I won't know what I'm missing I guess. The auto-on headlights on my CX-7 were handy in some ways, but those *wouldn't* always come on automatically on rainy days (as our state law requires) so I considered them more curse than blessing since I was often overriding them anyhow.

So that's pretty close. Some nice rims/tires, stiffer swaybars, and some not-loud but more significant exhaust tone would prolly be the rest.

I envy them as well. I *really* wanted a stick-shift new 5, so Sport's all there is here, and that's what I bought. Woulda been great to get a swell deal on a Touring or Grand Touring with luxo features...but I really wanted a m/t.

Base price of a Sport and GT at the moment are about USD $5K apart. I planned on a few upgrades when I bought it to get some of the GT-goodness installed, but don't plan on five grand's worth. Natch, the resale value will likely not keep pace (my Sport with aftermarket upgrades vs. a gen-u-ine GT with factory equip) but the plan is to own this vehicle long-term anyhow. May as well enjoy it.

Foglights (easy, OEM Mazda); leather seats (not cheap, but all the colors of the rainbow available) w/heaters (hi-lo settings on aftermarket ones); some killer, modern, highly integrated navi head unit mit iPod, bluetooth, and USB capabilities (many choices); tinted glass; HID's (yeah, aftermarket ones won't have a height adjuster or housing optimized for them but if they're as good as the ones I've installed on two other vehicles it'll be good enough).

The sunroof on our CX-7 was opened twice I think in the 3 years we drove it; and I actually like the 5 better w/o the sidesills and rear spoiler. So no upgrade needs there. Heated mirrors would be nice, haven't looked into installing those, and I've never had rain-sensing wipers so I won't know what I'm missing I guess. The auto-on headlights on my CX-7 were handy in some ways, but those *wouldn't* always come on automatically on rainy days (as our state law requires) so I considered them more curse than blessing since I was often overriding them anyhow.

So that's pretty close. Some nice rims/tires, stiffer swaybars, and some not-loud but more significant exhaust tone would prolly be the rest.

I can't imagine a 5 without the side sills both models of the 5 here come with side sills. I've never seen one without them. It think it would ruin the look of the car without them!!

The sunroof on our CX-7 was opened twice I think in the 3 years we drove it.

Yeah this feature is over rated I wanted one so bad and I never open it because I hate that it slides above and not into the car...I think it ruins the profile..Thats just me. I really hope that they make a 2011 with all the goodies and the 6 speed manual...I think I read either at caranddriver .com or motortrend.com that they may not be bringing the maual shift to the US for lack of sales...I really hope they are wrong

The 6th generation Honda Accord ('98 through '02) was notorious for having bad automatic transmissions so conversions to manual are fairly common. Especially when the automatic transmisison goes bad because a rebuild runs $2,500 to $3,000, while you can put a manual in for about $1,500.

Besides my '09 Mazda5 I have a '99 Honda Accord, both have manual transmission (from the factory).

I can't imagine a 5 without the side sills both models of the 5 here come with side sills. I've never seen one without them. It think it would ruin the look of the car without them!!

Our 2 models are the GS and the GT. I don't know about you, but I've never seen any GS in BC with side skirts. Do Ontario GS's come standard with side skirts?

Yeah this feature is over rated I wanted one so bad and I never open it because I hate that it slides above and not into the car...I think it ruins the profile..Thats just me. I really hope that they make a 2011 with all the goodies and the 6 speed manual...I think I read either at caranddriver .com or motortrend.com that they may not be bringing the maual shift to the US for lack of sales...I really hope they are wrong
I am real glad I didn't have to pay for a feature (sunroof) that I wouldn't/haven't used. from day one I didn't see any features on the touring and grand touring that I would have liked on my 5 speed sport.
I do, however like the look of the 'over the top' sunroof, my saturn coupe was like that, I thought it looked cool. an in the roof version on the M5 would take away too much headroom.
as for converting, well, anything is possible, but it is NEVER economical UNLESS you do the work yourself. in simplest terms, it's just a matter of getting a donor car w/ all the right pieces and swapping them over. it's a huge, HUGE job on a modern car.

Our 2 models are the GS and the GT. I don't know about you, but I've never seen any GS in BC with side skirts. Do Ontario GS's come standard with side skirts?

I'm in Manitoba and all of the 5's I've seen (Both GS and GT) have side skirts. I bought my 5 used and I'm 99% positive it came from Quebec and it has side skirts as well.

FWIW...here is my 2010 Sport with no side sill extensions or spoiler:

HPIM1050.JPG

I hadn't seen noticed one on the street, till I saw mine. I saw one elsewhere on this forum though and liked the "unspoiled" appearance of the Sport.

Latest posts

Back