How hard is it to replace the whole front suspension on an 02 MP5

mp5 jester

:
2002 Mazda Protege5 sport suspension
Recently i have been hearing a lot of noise coming from the front suspension and so i got it all checked over and it turns out my whole front end basically needs replaced. It needs ball joints, control arms, sway bar links, struts and strut mounts. On top of that it needs and EGR Valve and a VICS, the EGR valve wouldn't be hard to do and the sway bar links might need to be just cut off and replaced from there, but i have never done any heavy suspension work. Im just trying to figure out if it is going to be worth my time and the huge stack of money needed to replace it all. I like the car but im putting more into then what is worth, im just trying to get some suggestions and some confidence on the correct decision to make.

Well, I can personally say replacing the front struts and endlinks won't be too hard for you with some basic tools. I just upgraded my strut/spring set up to some tokicos and upgraded to some beefer front endlinks that are made for a Ford Escape. I did have some squeaking before the upgrade and now it is gone. May not be too helpful, but good luck.

How rusty is your P5? Swapping the front suspension isn't too difficult (I've done it to both my P5's) but I've got a compressor and impact wrench. The rusty P5 was a pain since everything was seized. The Georgia P5 is a piece of cake since it doesn't have any rust.

The cost of parts can add up quickly though. It might be better to just find out what needs replaced first.

it's quick and easy depending on where you car has spent most of its lifetime. if you live in an area where cars dont get a lot of rust it should be easy. An impact gun and a breaker bar will probably cut the amount of time you work in half

its got quite a bit of rust i live in iowa so are cars are almost guaranteed to have rust

I can't imagine living somewhere where my car rusts away in front of me, that would suck.

Suspension work is pretty straight forward, I would just get an alignment afterwards. And if it is rusted it will be a MAJOR pita. Def worth buying a cheap impact and renting/buying a compressor.

Back