How do you detail your car?

I wrote this up for another forum, but i thought i'd share.

This is how i do it:

Wash
Required products
- 2 x Buckets/Tubs (1 for clean water, the other for soapy water)
- Microfibre wash mitt
- Meguiars Nxt Gen Car Wash / Armor All heavy duty car wash
- Karcher pressure washer

Procedure
I usually hose the car down first using the pressure washer to get off all dirt,dust etc and to make sure the car is saturated first. If your pressure washer has a soap tank use that to drench the car in soapy water. Then using the microfibre mitt, i use the soapy water and wash the car panel by panel, rinsing the suds off right after to stop them from drying on the car. You can use a normal hose, but i like using the pressure washer because it uses less water and is more efficient. After each panel, rinse the dirty mitt in the clean water, to avoid getting dirt in the soapy water.

Removing bug/tar stains
Products used:
Turtle Wax tar/bug remover (aerosol form - the only place i could find it at was Repco)
Microfibre waffle weave cloth

Procedure
Spray the tar/bug remover over any bits of tar or bugs that werent washed off before. Let it soak for a few seconds before using the cloth to clean it off. I use that aerosol stuff because it seems to work much better, and quicker than any cream remover i've used. Its also a lot easier to clean off.

Claying the car
Products used:
- Clay Kit (I have several different clay blocks i use, but i can't remember the brand. but you can just get a meguiars quik clay kit from SuperCheap)
- Microfibre cloth

Procedure:
Work panel by panel and bit by bit for best results. Usually in a kit, you get a fairly large block of clay. I break that into two sometimes 3 portions and only use one portion. Remember, if you drop the clay, discard it immediately. So portioning the clay serves as backup just in case you drop it. Spray a small amount of clay lube onto the area, and using the clay block, gently swipe it over the area in long strokes until the entire area is done. Avoid using circular motion, and dont apply excessive pressure. Just let it glide over the lube. Wipe off the lube with the microfibre cloth. Remember, you only need enough lube that the clay doesn't stick - too much and its wasteful and ineffective. If you run out of clay lube, you can use quick detailer. Its pretty much the same thing. Be careful of claying anything rubber, esp. around the windows cos that will discolor your clay. Fold it over whenever it starts to get dirty to expose a new side to work with. You can also clay the glass if you want.

Optional 2nd wash/rinse
This is optional, but if you have time, and depending on how much tar/bug remover you had to use before, quickly wash/rinse the car a 2nd time.

Polish/Paint Prep
Products used:
- Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
- Microfibre cloth
- Microfibre application pad

Procedure:
What this product does is pretty much prep the paint for the waxing stage. It cleans the paint to a gloss, and also does a good job of filling in any swirls. Using the microfibre application pad, apply a small amount to the panel and buff until hazy. Then using the microfibre cloth, buff the haze out until its gone. Again work panel by panel. Dont leave it too long otherwise it'll dry and be quite hard to buff out.

Waxing
Products used:
- Wolfgang Fuzion Wax
- sponge applicator pads
- microfibre cloth

Procedure:
For the waxing process, you can apply using the sponge applicator pad, but i prefer to apply by hand. It uses less wax and it applies a lot more evenly. The wolfgang wax is in a solid state at room temp, so you'll have to heat it using ur fingers and then apply onto the panel making sure its evenly applied. It looks kinda weird applying by hand cos it seems like you're massaging the car. Which i guess is essentially what your doing. After the wax is applied, i like to cross hatch it with my fingers, so i can see where i've applied and also so i know its evenly applied. With the Wolfgang wax, you dont have to leave it on long. You can buff off straight after with the microfibre cloth.

If you want, after you've done the entire car, let it sit in the sun for a while, and apply a 2nd coat of wax. This is optional tho, i find one coat is enough. I do give the bonnet and the front bumper two coats tho, because thats the place where bugs/rocks are gonna hit the most.

Detailing Glass Areas
Products used:
- Microfibre glass cloth
- Microfibre cloth
- DP Glass Restorer
- Invisible Glass glass cleaner
- cutting/buffing pad

Procedure:
depending on the condition of your glass, you might not have to do this. Usually glass that hasn't been detailed before has water stains on it that don't come off with washing. Apply a small amount of the DP glass restorer onto the cutting pad, and buff over the windows. REMEMBER the dp glass restorer is an ABRASIVE so take care not to get it anywhere near metal panels. Once you've buffed the windows to a haze, use the microfibre cloth to buff out the haze. Then spray the windows with Invisible Glass (i swear this product is the best glass cleaner out there!!! 1 million times better than windex or meguiars glass cleaner) and wipe dry with the microfibre glass cloth. I like to wipe it from the outside edges first, and finish in the middle.

When using the DP Glass restorer, work window by window. Dont let it dry as it will be hard to buff out.

Detailing Exterior Plastics, Wheels and chrome trim
Products used:
- sponge applicator pad
- microfibre applicator pad
- microfibre cloth
- Meguiars exterior trim detailer
- Meguiars liquid wax
- Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer
- Wolfgang black diamond tire gel

Procedure:
Apply a small amount of meguiars exterior trim detailer to a sponge applicator pad, and apply over any black plastic parts. I guess most cars wont require this, but like stuff like mudflaps, or what the cx9 has is black body moulding around the bottom. it keeps plastic exterior trim lookin shiny and black. Doesn't require buffing off. just simply apply it. but dont over do it. just a small amount is enough.

For the tyres, i like to use Wolfgang black diamond tire gel. Its a liquid gel thats really easy to apply and lasts a lot longer than that spray tire shine stuff. I hate the aerosol stuff because sometimes its messy to apply, and it doesnt seem to last as long. Meguiars also has a tire gel as well.

For the wheels, depending on what type of rims you have, if you just have stock rims than you can wax them using the meguiars liquid wax. apply using a microfibre applicator pad, and then just buff off using a MF cloth. I prefer not to use my wolfgang wax on the wheels because that stuff is F****** expensive ($250 per jar)

If you have any chrome trim on our car, i usually just use the Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer. apply using the microfibre applicator pad, and buff off with a cloth. It seems to work quite well. Not sure if there are any dedicated chrome trim cleaners out there.

Conclusion

so depending on the car and how fast you work, this would probably take you up to 6 hours. I know right. A LOT of time and effort, but SOOOO work it. Your car will look unbelievebly awesome. Not only that but after that, if it gets dirty, you can pretty much just hose it off and it'll look as good as new again as the dirt and dust just dont stick and just wash off.

Its awesome when driving because bugs just bounce off your car because the panels are so slippery, and when it rains the water just beads and falls off. Oh detailing your glass and windshield, your wipers will love you! they seem to operate so much more smooth and quiet, and absolutely no streaking when it rains.

You only have to do this full routine maybe twice/three times a year. Every other time its just a simple wash and hose. If you like you can reapply some cheaper wax from time to time, as well as reapply the exterior trim detailer. I've found that after 6 months, the panels on our car are still quite clean. You can test it yourself by putting your hand in a plastic bag, and gliding your hand over the panels. you can FEEL every bit of comtamination and dirt on your paint. After you've done the whole wash/clay/polish/wax thing, it should be smooth as.

Im sure each person has their own way of doing things and their own preferred products, but this is how i detail our cars.

ps.. i use different MF cloths for each stage. never use the same cloth twice.

Results:

:)

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

mazda2-014.jpg

Last edited:
I used the clay bar system for the first time last year and the results are amazing. Using it on the lower door panels and painted bumpers is a must if you live in the northern states. It also allows the wax/ploish to do a much better job.

Back