Hood Rubber Gasket Ripped Out...TSB???

dsc888

:
2021 CX-9 GT
Hey Guys,

While checking fluid levels under my 2011 GT today, I looked up and noticed that the black rubber gasket that runs along the leading bottom edge of the hood is torn out with the exception of the 2 sides. There is about 2 inches remaining of it at both the left and right. This is the rubber gasket that keeps dirt and rain from sliding past the front at speed into the engine bay, where the hood meets the chrome upper of the bumper when you close it. The small thumb pushed fasteners are still there but hanging loose as there is no long a gasket for them to hold in place.

This is VERY ODD. Can someone check to see if their's is the same? Could this be a TSB fix for something? Wind noise? So now when you look at the front of the car closely, you no long have a gasket where the bottom of the hood touches the chrome part of the grill. I doubt that it could be vandalism or little furry animals.

Thanks so much!

How often has your car been serviced? Where has it been serviced? Are you the original owner? Do you change your own oil?

If I had to guess, I would guess that you take your car to an oil change place and that is the likely cause, an oil change monkey being careless. Yet another reason to stay away.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I'm wrong)

Yes, there is a rubber seal that goes across the leading edge of the hood held in place by plastic fasteners, should not be broken in the middle.

I could also see this happening by an automatic car wash as well.

helbigtw,

OK. I'm glad to say that I have not even had a single oil change on this car yet. It only has 4k miles on the odo and I'm ready to take it in when I just discovered it today while checking fluid levels. I thought something was amiss when I went to feel for the hood release and felt the little plastic clips "loose" under my fingers instead of feeling the rubber gasket.

I will say that I did take it to my local "laser touch" car wash which is a true no touch wash but there is minimal time where the water hits the front of the car. I will note that the edges of the remaining gasket looks jagged as though someone ripped the center off by hand. I find it hard to believe that a jet of water that only shoots from the top and side would rip out a gasket that is held downwards with the weight of the hood.

I hope the dealer can replace it free. But even if they refuse, it looks cheap and easy to do myself.

Thanks for chiming in.

Back