Hood paint has roughness to it

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal
My hood is very rough, probably due to contaminants. It appears to be an issue with Mazda paint, because I've felt the hood of Toyota and it doesn't have this issue. What's the solution, clay bar?

Also I should mention that the vertically oriented parts like the doors & hatch are smooth.

An issue with MAZDA paint? I really doubt that because my last three MAZDAs didn't have a paint issue. 2007 CX7 Lt blue, 2015 CX5 Soul Red and a 2021 GTR with Machine Gray.

Is your Toyota parked in the same area as your CX-5? Does it see the same usage? Asking because were currently dealing with an aphid infestation in my city right now. If I park my car under a tree, even for just a little while, I'll get aphid droppings on the paint, and when they harden it feels like contaminants. I try to keep some wax/sealant on the car at all times, so thankfully the aphid poop comes off after a rinse at the coin-op car wash.

Clay bar would probably work, but be sure to use a lot of lubrication, and be ready to polish and wax the car afterwards.

My hood is very rough, probably due to contaminants. It appears to be an issue with Mazda paint,fol because I've felt the hood of Toyota and it doesn't have this issue. What's the solution, clay bar?

Also I should mention that the vertically oriented p arts like the doors & hatch are smooth.i
I experienced that though I would not call it "very rough" in my case--more like tiny blips not visible to the naked eye when running fingertips lightly over the hood and roof. Like you, vertical surfaces were quite smooth so I suspected environmental contamination.

I applied Adam's Iron Remover twice with good success followed by Nu Finish. There are many iron removing products and youtube video demonstrations to check out. I picked Adam's since it reviewed well and was reasonably cheap at around $13 on Amazon. You might try one of these products first and then go to the more laborious clay bar if still unsatisfactory.

Either way, afterward some wax, polish, ceramic, whatnot should be applied since you'll have stripped off whatever clear coat protection you might have had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus one on the iron contamination from brake dust, industrial pollution or whatever. My last car was bright white and many times showed pinpoint rust spots as well as black dust that seemed to be magnetic. Seriously, that black dust would cling to a vertical surface on the car and you could push it around with your fingertip like iron filings on a magnet. Then there was the tiny dots of pine sap from a nearby tree, but that's getting off track here except to say it can be a losing battle depending where you park.

Back