Hilarious - N'joy sleeping in CX-5? See this DIY

My sleeping platform is a lot better. Easy to get in and out. Standard thermarest camping mattress fits perfectly. Use a sun shield in front window and a blanket across back of front seats and no one can see you due to factory tint on all the windows. Beats worrying about the bears while camping. Also beats worrying about rampant bed bug problem at hotels when driving cross country.

The Mazda CX-5, top rated by hitman for hauling bodies into the desert.

The 2016 Mazda CX-5. With 34.1 cubic feet of cargo space and 64.8 cubic feet with those seats folded, its a great place to make babies. Mazda does not recommend it be used as sleeping quarters. See dealership for details.

how tall are you, I tried this in my range rover and didn't fit at all and the Rover is way bigger then our CX5

how tall are you, I tried this in my range rover and didn't fit at all and the Rover is way bigger then our CX5

With the front seat all the way forward and tilted forward there is 6'9" Also if the platform goes all the way from the arm rest to the inside edge of the car (with just a little clearance) It can be 23 in wide at the front seat end.

What this means is that if you make the platform 23 in wide at the front and you sleep at a little bit of an angle you can have a spot 20 in wide and 6 '6" long with the corners knocked off

I took CC58s design and fiddled with it and got it down to two pieces of plywood that when folded sit in the back cargo area. and when unfolded give a 6'6" x 20 in platform.

Last edited:
I did the same thing with a full size air mattress, car-ready air mattress pump, sleeping bag, and compression sack. The air mattress and pump fit in the space with the spare tire, and the sleeping bag stowed inside the compression sack stays in the hatch where it doesn't take up that much space. I usually don't pack much when I travel so all my stuff fits behind the front seats. I sleep with my head towards the back of the car so I'm mostly hidden under the cargo cover, and I put a sunshade in the windshield. Haven't tried this out with another person yet, otherwise it works fine, and I've had minimal trouble with the air mattress leaking air. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Back