High revs the other day when starting the engine

Caspan

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
I have had my Manual CX-5 for about a week and a half now and normally when I start the engine my tac shows about 1500 RPM for about 10-15 seconds then idles down to about 500 RPM. The other day after I started the engine went to the normal 1500 RPM then 3 seconds later jumped to 3000 for about 5 seconds. I have never had this happen again and have no clue why it happened? Someone was just getting in the passenger seat at the time so I don't know if the sensor in the seat triggered the air bag on and drew more power so the engine revved to compensate? Just curious if anyone else has noticed this on the manual CX-5 or when you should worry about it (obviously it only happened once) This is my first new car ever so I have no clue what to expect from a vehicle.

Its heating the cat for a cleaner burn, I bet the high rev day was cooler & took more revs to heat it up...

Not sure to be honest. It was just for a short period and was actually 20 c out that day.

Ill copy and paste one of my other posts here.

Mazda sent an email news letter about the car to owners with some information about this and explained the process of the startup. They also specifically said that while the startup process takes 30 seconds to happen that there is no harm in driving right after turning the car on.

Here it is from the email.

Skyactiv Technology Tips

Have you noticed that your engine sounds different on some cold mornings? If so, you're hearing a unique piece of SKYACTIV combustion technology at work. The Accelerated Warm up System (AWS) uses higher engine RPM (about 1500 rpm) and a different combustion process to quickly warm up the catalyst for cleaner exhaust emissions. Listen closely and you can hear the engine sound get quieter and the RPM drop when the catalyst is up to temperature (this takes less than 30 seconds after a cold start).

NOTE: You don't need to wait for this warm up process before driving.

They even mention on their email, 1500 RPMs which is what I always do see, this day it spiked to 3000 RPMs which is why it made me pay attention when I seen it just that high

They even mention on their email, 1500 RPMs which is what I always do see, this day it spiked to 3000 RPMs which is why it made me pay attention when I seen it just that high

The RX-7 AWS system used to rev to 3000rpm - but that's nothing on a rotary. 3000rpm seems quite high on the Skyactiv-G.

Back