Help Selecting Springs To Match Illuminas

jeffmsp

Contributor
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
Hey guys,

To start I will let you know that I am not much of a suspension junkie.

I have a set of tokico illuminas (for a regular protege, not MSP specific) that I am trying to match with a set of springs.

What makes it a bit tricky is that I am down ~250 pounds less than stock, almost all of it from the front end.

I am trying to figure out which aftermarket springs would be a good match for the setup.

~2600 pound curb weight. I have 5 settings on the illuminas.

Currently I am running the front at setting at 2 or 3 with the rear at setting 5. I have a stock front sway bar and strut bar, NO rear sway bar and a set of modded MSP springs.

The car still likes to oversteer when I have decent tires on. If I set the front to 4 its a bit more neutral, set the front to 5 and it will understeer without better rubber.

The MSP springs were cut in the front (car was like a 4x4 in the front without getting cut as the weight loss meant the front doesnt really compress / lower when I put the motor in) and the rears are stock MSPs, though the car is low in the back and often bottoms out when I have passengers in the car since I am using MSP springs on non-msp illuminas.

Suggestions? aside from buying coilovers..

Thanks

Last edited:
hmm. well it seems all of the springs i can find with a rating are 280F 230R

Im guessing most are pretty similar since pretty much every companies target market is stock weight vehicles. Im thinking there is no proper way to do it without a custom spring rate.

so in other words, I guess I might as well just pick a set to get rid of the bottoming out in the rear or just buy coilovers

if you want custom rates and heights, and you are convinced the illuminas are the struts you want, i suggest getting ground controls.

Latest posts

Back