Help! My CX-9 won’t start

:
2003 protege 5
Hello, I took all the parts off to get too spark plugs now engine wont start. It turns over and for a brief sec it wants to start but won’t. Does the computer need to be reprogrammed and does anyone know the procedure?

Thank you, Alex

Still can’t start the car , turns over feels like it wants to go but won’t , was wondering if I can spray gas in the throttle to see if it’s a gas problem that it’s not getting gas , an anyone advise me here ,thanks

Still can’t start the car , turns over feels like it wants to go but won’t , was wondering if I can spray gas in the throttle to see if it’s a gas problem that it’s not getting gas , an anyone advise me here ,thanks
Don't use gasoline! Spray a SMALL amount of sensor safe starter fluid instead.

More specific information gets you more specific answers. It would be helpful for you to list:

Year of your CX-9
Parts that you used
The process you followed to remove the parts

Sometimes pictures can be helpful as well, to see if any parts were not reinstalled correctly or are missing.

More specific information gets you more specific answers. It would be helpful for you to list:

Year of your CX-9
Parts that you used
The process you followed to remove the parts

Sometimes pictures can be helpful as well, to see if any parts were not reinstalled correctly or are missing.
Yep, and I usually don't take part when so little information is supplied. But after reading that second post, the thought of this story showing up on the evening news made me do it :rolleyes:

Thanks for responding , I have a 2007 cx9 , the issue that I having is that I took all the parts off the get to spark plugs at back of engine , while there I took the throttle body off and cleaned it ,not knowing that your not supposed to touch the butterfly plate on an electronic throttle ,so I’m suspecting that I have thrashed it ,but not 100 % sure . Now the engine turns over and seems to want to catch but won’t like it’s not getting gas ,it seems to want to start for a slight second ,so Im suspecting it’s not getting gas or throttle is bad or I didn’t put everything back properly but I have check and rechecked things.I’m getting codes ,Can’t remember them since I have cleared codes but one had to do with the gas pedal sensor position plus 3 others . Can I some how get the code to come up again .Hope that explains things as clear as mud

Thanks, that's much more detail that could be helpful to someone who has dealt with an issue like yours before. With that said, it sounds like you may be better off getting a mechanic to look at the car if you need it up and running again quickly.

I don’t need it up and running quickly going to figure it out myself plus help from here if possible , going to find out how to test the throttle ,just don’t want to throw a new one on till I can see what’s up. Thanks

Try pushing the gas pedal down hard to the floor, before you try to start, and keep it there while you try to start it.

Cleaning an electronic throttle body is ok as long as it is removed.
My best guess would be that you forgot to hook something back up. There is a lot of stuff that gets disconnected when doing the spark plugs. I'd recommend just watching the video I linked below and pausing and checking every connection one by one as he removes them to make sure everything is plugged in/ reinstalled correctly.
I've also put a link to the workshop manual below.
That's the worst when you try to fix something on the car but end up making it worse off. Good luck, hope you can get it resolved.
What spark plug part # did you use?

So I have tried to hold gas pedal down and still wont start, I did a scan and had 3 codes ,since then \i cleared the codes and rescanned and the codes are not showing again but engine still wont start not sure where to go from here . I checked and rechecked all the things that need to be hooked up and looks ok .It wants to start but wont felt like it was going to start but wont .Anyone think it may be a simple relearn or something is not working because of me fiddling with throttle while cleaning it . It put car in a no start mode of such .Thanks

The 3 codes were cleared and I didn't record(brilliant move I know) them but they were for the throttle ,one was for the gas pedal. I'm thinking that once you clean the throttle while it is of the car you have to do some type of relearn procedure for the throttle removal ,does anyone know about this .I know that Nissan has that procedure .

I wonder if you got some cleaner on the MAF sensor when cleaning the throttle body? Might be worth a shot to remove that sensor and try spraying it with a MAF specific cleaner.

Update: So had car towed to garage local mechanic,did a code scan and he’s saying the ecm not communicating ,I believe .He gave me a referral to a electrical company ,So waiting for tow truck ,see what they come up with. Sorry for late update been busy ,thanks for patience,he got codes B11 & B12 ,tried to look on net but nothing showing🔧🤯

So had car towed to local garage the mechanic said it is an ecm issue so said I need to bring it to a electrical tech so towed it there the guy told me engine is toast , he said that when I was trying to start at home I flooded the engine and gas was detected in oil pan ,he said gas washed the pistons down . So towed car to Mazda Dealer and they were going to do a diagnostic on car and they also said car has a catastrophic engine failure and they fixed 2 recalls control arms .That whoever ( ME )was working on car may have done the damage . Wonderful news. Looks like they wont help me unless its in there best interest . Looks like I have to fix it myself .

Last edited:
So had car towed to local garage the mechanic said it is an ecm issue so said I need to bring it to a electrical tech so towed it there the guy told me engine is toast , he said that when I was trying to start at home I flooded the engine and gas was detected in oil pan ,he said gas washed the pistons down . So towed car to Mazda Dealer and they were going to do a diagnostic on car and they also said car has a catastrophic engine failure and they fixed 2 recalls control arms .That whoever ( ME )was working on car may have done the damage . Wonderful news. Looks like they wont help me unless its in there best interest . Looks like I have to fix it myself .
😳

Back