Help! - Can't get the top nut on my strut off.

Jwurm12

:
2014 Mazda 2
FYI:

Anyone going to install springs, break the top nut on the strut loose before you remove them from the car. If you do that one thing, you will be home free for the rest of the install.

Springs are on and the car looks great. So much less body roll, but still a lot to improve when I get coilovers and a few other suspension pieces.

Last edited:
If you decompress the spring it may help enough to get it off.or you could cut it off and go get another nut

That was a good idea, but the top spins even with the spring decompressed.

No tools for that.

impact would be the tool for the job. Or you have to figure a way to hold the center strut shaft from spinning without marring up the surface.

Thats what I was gonna say! You beat me to it.use your vise grips above the decompressed spring but below the top hat to stop the shaft from spinning use the socket wrench to take the nut off.when I did my struts it wasnt that hard.but tools are great and not everyone has them

Do I need to worry about that?

78ae68ab5090241598eab3145b0b86fd.jpg

Don't use a impact wrench on your strut anywhere if you can help it.. especially on the strut tower bolts. Use a box wrench (the enclosed wrench) and an allen wrench (or the allen wrench socket), of 5mm. Just lowered my car today, good luck.

I know this is an old post but I had a nice and easier way to take out the top hat nut on the strut.

Allen key (forgot the size) to hold the strut still and the socket to take the nut off held by lock wrenches. Proper tool would be a deep cutaway socket.

I just used a bike tube and vice grips to hold the shaft, and an impact to get the top nut. No problem.

Back