Hello, Thinking about a P5 - Opinions Wanted

Rickman

Contributor
:
91 NA + 09 Mazda5
Hi guys, I just signed up here so I could ask you guys about the P5. I'm going to look at one for sale later today.

I wanted to know what common issues I should look for?

The car i'm looking at is a '02 P5 with about 55k on it. They want about $9500 for it. It's yellow with leather interior and most options.

Opinions, Idea, Comment, Concerns, Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-rickman

sounds like a fair deal, maybe bargain a few bucks cheaper than that since they aren't made anymore :)

common issues? a P5 owner can post on that :)

That's a lot of mileage for an '02, hopefully those are freeway miles. The price sounds about right, though. Edmunds lists it at around $9000 to $9500. As for reliability, mine only has 6k on it but there don't seem to be any large-scale problems with the P5. Just the usual random problems that affect a few people.

Here's a link to the TSBs for the 3rd generation Proteges. Note that a lot of these don't apply to the P5, necessarily:
http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/3rdgen.html

I've got an '03 w/ 20K miles that I got new last fall. The only issue I've had w/ her was the A/C TSB. I love my car and have had no problems other than I keep spending money modding her. :) Look forward to you joining us. You might also bargain down a little more since it is out of warranty. Here's the Edmunds quotes for my area:
<TABLE class=table-main cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=table-content align=right width="15%">

Trade In- $7,088

</TD><TD class=table-content align=right width="15%">

Private party- $8,139

</TD><TD class=table-content align=right width="15%">

Dealer Retail- $9,919

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've got an 03 with 15000. no major problems after a year of ownership. most things that people have come across are dumb little annoyances like maybe a rattle or whatnot. the two biggest complaints with people is the lack of power, which can be remedied, and the paint. i think i speak for nearly everyone when i say it'd be nice if they put on more and higher quality layers.

i'd try to get it for under 9000 if i were you cuz 55k is a lot. is it a manny? it's a great car to drive...so much fun in the turns...you'll love it. buy it.

Rickman said:
I wanted to know what common issues I should look for?
That's just it... there aren't any major ones on P5s -- that's why Consumer Reports is so high on it. The P5 even made their "Best Buy" list for used cars.

protege_reliability.jpg

There are several people with automatic transmissions that have had problems (some even replaced a couple of times). However, even though the auto transmission has been the "weak link" in the car, the failure rate is still lower than most competitors.

If it's got that many miles there shouldn't be any problems. Most problems seem to show up early-I had my shortblock replaced at 30K and the car is only 1 year old and I'm currently at 44K. They are great cars, I wouldn't trade it for anything..well.. almost anything.

I had an A/c problem, and the motor. Other than that no problems. The motor problem is very noticeable. If it makes alot of noise when started cold, I wouldn't get it. Most of them are really quiet though.

55K alot for a 2 year old car? Not really.

I have a '02 P5 with 63K and have had only one problem.......the rear brake caliper locked up and was rubbing against the rotor and knocking around 50k. But i just forgot about it, and the problem apparently fixed itself.....no more knocking.

Yeah, the protege is a pretty reliable car in general.
I have a manual 02 P5 with 68K miles on it. I do regular oil changes and check ups and really haven't had anything major happen. I've had mystery squeaks, some fixed, but that could also be part from what I've done to the car (bushings, motor mount). Still drives like a champ and I do beat it to hell.

Yeah, work on getting that price lower. Remember that the dealer probably paid the trade in price for that car, which is much lower than 9,500.

Last edited:
there was an ECU reflash (yes, on the p5), the clutch clatter at cold startup, the AC switch service bulletin and thats about it. i know of a few people, myself included, who had issues with the factory alarm.

Thanks guys. I just got back from the test drive and I must say I'm really digging the car. I do feel the price is a little steap.

The place that has it isnt really a car dealer, more of an Automotive Consignment place. They seem to have a no haggle policy, but when I was driving it they told me it was a company car so it belonged to them.

I'm going to look at a 02 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP w/ only 25k on it this afternoon. It's between the P5 and the GTP (yes, I realize they're completely different cars, but they both fit my genereal requirements)

If I end up getting the P5 you'll certinly see me around these parts alot. Thanks for all of your comments and advice.

-rickman

GTP's are cool, but they're ALL autos. Also, I just dislike Pontiac styling in general. I was very dissapointed in one we raced in my friend's maxima, it barely beat us. Alot of potential though, but if i had to choose, unbaised, I'd get the P5.

i love my car and the only problems I have had with it are self induced (me breaking something while trying to make it better etc)

I bought the P5 Yesterday. I get to go pick it up today.

I'm so excited about the car, I can't wait to start tinkering with it.

-rickman

We got another one!!

Congrats.

Now browse through the How-Tos and pick all the ones you're doing tonight (lol2)

Time to get a cheap cold air intake and some eibachs. Fun, cheap mods. Painting the stock rims makes the car look totally different too.

I got so many ideas of things to do, and no clue where to start.

I think I may call the mobile detailer and have him come give it a once-over.

Luckily I have a connection in the window tinting biz, so that's gunna get taken care of soon.

Back