Hello, new P5 owner

I just want to say hi to here. I just purchased my P5 last Sunday with only 140k on the odo. I am glad I saw Mazda 247; I think this forum has the most meaningful Mazda info around, especially the P5. I joined a few groups in FB, but most comments are just gibberish and banter. The P5 just have some dents and scathes, but looks good for its age.

p4111131288-4.jpg

p4111131289-4.jpg

The car is an absolute blast. I haven't felt this giddy since the good ol import scene years of late 90's - early 00's. The FS feels right at home, very similar to the Toyota 4age that I used to tinker in my ae86. First mods are already coming: short shifter with accompanying bushing to have that crisp shifting.

I just want to say hi to here. I just purchased my P5 last Sunday with only 140k on the odo. I am glad I saw Mazda 247; I think this forum has the most meaningful Mazda info around, especially the P5. I joined a few groups in FB, but most comments are just gibberish and banter. The P5 just have some dents and scathes, but looks good for its age.

The car is an absolute blast. I haven't felt this giddy since the good ol import scene years of late 90's - early 00's. The FS feels right at home, very similar to the Toyota 4age that I used to tinker in my ae86. First mods are already coming: short shifter with accompanying bushing to have that crisp shifting.

Very cool, welcome to the club.
I bought my silver 03 P5 with 143k in 2019 and its been great. It has the common issues - burns oil, shot rear motor mount, fragile fog lights breaking or leaking, broken parking brake and seized rear calipers, etc. etc., but this is what we put up with for these old cars.

I'd like to know what your experience is with the short shifter and bushings. It's a great combo of mods, but I've personally had unending minor issues with slop and rattling. I used Exile AutoWorx bushings and a Megan Racing SS, fairly affordable but there may be higher quality parts available that perform better.

Very Nice Looking Ride Dorihachigo and welcome!!

http://dorihachigo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4111131288-4.jpg
http://dorihachigo.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p4111131289-4.jpg

I did the Megan short shifter and the Exile Bushings and it makes a WORLD of difference compared to the stock shifter and its (totally) wore out stock bushings.

The only installation issue I had was getting the P5's stock rubber dust boot to go down into the shifter hole with the Megan shifter.

I personally ended up removing the two rubber o-rings from the Megan shifter (shown at 2:11 in the video linked below) and used a little Vaseline on the rubber dust boot to finally get the shifter installed down through the shifter hole.

I also put some red grease on the bolt shafts inside the shift linkage "tubes" where the bushings are installed.

The video below helped me doing my conversion.
Daily Driver Upgrade - Protege Shifter Bushings and Megan Short Shift

I hope this helps. :)

Looks good. This is the forum for finding answers for your P5.

Not sure what your location is but as with all older cars watch out for rust. Clean out the drains. If you get a CEL, scan it and fix it promptly, much easier to fix a single code than a whole list of codes.

"...Not sure what your location is but as with all older cars watch out for rust. Clean out the drains. If you get a CEL, scan it and fix it promptly, much easier to fix a single code than a whole list of codes."
>What smetzger said...'watch out for rust",

Like places you seldom visit - Like the rear wheel wells and spare tire bay.

>And"...If you get a CEL, scan it and fix it promptly, much easier to fix a single code than a whole list of codes."

If you happen to lose something, like the radio or the ability to get your OBD code reader to work when you hook it up (or possibly any other thing electrical especially in the interior), check the fuse named "ROOM" in the interior fuse box near the driver's side kick panel.

It is a 10A fuse and other things in that panel are higher-rated so it seems like that fuse normally blows first before others like the 15A "radio" fuse or the fuse that controls the OBD connector.

Attachments

• Rt. Rear Wheel Well1.jpg
    Rt. Rear Wheel Well1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Rt. Rear Wheel Well2.jpg
    Rt. Rear Wheel Well2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Interior Rust - Spare Tire and Well.jpg
    Interior Rust - Spare Tire and Well.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 114
Back