"Hellabroke" Protege 5 on a college Budget

I hope they're plug and play. It includes some wiring I believe, but they're about an inch or two smaller in diameter than the stock P5 fogs. So I might not be doing it. I couldn't find them online, but I'll try and get a pic sometime soon.

And Dom, where did you get your shift knob?

I actually got it off a friend its was used so it has a few minor cosmetic scratches which I don't care about. Its a RAZO brand RA series shift knob I don't know the exact RA model I was browsing eBay and they range from about $30-$50, could probably get it cheaper in a store. But its great much heavier than the stock one, but the threads on the knob are not as long as the stock one. So it sits a little bit higher than the stock one leaving more of the stick exposed from the stock boot top to the base of the knob. Only downside is that since its Aluminum its really cold in the winter, I haven't used it in the summer so I don't know how hot it will get.

I have also realized that my driver side power lock has stopped working, nothing serious just a bit of an inconvenience. Its way too cold however to really get into fixing this so i'll probably leave it till spring or when there is a break in the weather.

Do you know if the US models had block heaters too? My poor car almost didn't start multiple times after -40 wind chills have been here most of the week, and a block heater would really come in handy@

I know my 2003 U.S. P5 does but im not sure if it was OEM or not (Idk if block heaters can be bought aftermarket either).

I know my 2003 U.S. P5 does but im not sure if it was OEM or not (Idk if block heaters can be bought aftermarket either).

yes they can be bought aftermarket, yes they were available options on our cars. I've never plugged a car in in all the years ive been driving (over 15) and we normally see a week plus of -40* before the wind. Just takes a bit longer for the cars to warm up in the mornings.

Grabbed a Maxspeed Exhaust of off Kijji yesterday.

This is a pic of the exhaust getting installed, it had to be welded into place, one of the hanger welds broke unfortunately so i'm gonna get it
re welded today to stop it from moving around.

This is a pic of the finished product, I really like the look, and it has a nice deep rumble. Def not a ricer sound

You should post a video of the exhaust! I've been trying to decide on what exhaust I wanna get once tax season rolls around.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I need someone to record it as I drive. Or ill set up my camera on an empty ride and record it. I'll get to that probably next weekend.

You should post a video of the exhaust! I've been trying to decide on what exhaust I wanna get once tax season rolls around.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I need someone to record it as I drive. Or ill set up my camera on an empty ride and record it. I'll get to that probably next weekend.

Changed my oil and washed my car, I've been using royal purple oil and I must say I can't complain with the quality or performance. The only downside is it's liquid gold AKA its expensive. Costing me $74 for a 4.73L jug and oil filter, I also have to get one of the exhaust hangers rewelded as it broke the day I got the exhaust installed -_-.

Go to performance improvements. I got a gallon of royal purple 10 30 and a k&n oil filter for 45 bucks a month ago.

My protg 5 belt squeaked upon start up when its cold and when I drive it. I tightened the alternator tensioner and the squeaking has reduced greatly and barley happens. any one else have this problem in the cold too? ( It squeaks upon acceleration for about 3 seconds, goes away completely once the engine is warm

Mine squealed on startup when it was cold, but it would go away if I revved past 2500 usually. Then I took it to the shop and found pieces of both belts missing, so don't use that method. haha

My protg 5 belt squeaked upon start up when its cold and when I drive it. I tightened the alternator tensioner and the squeaking has reduced greatly and barley happens. any one else have this problem in the cold too? ( It squeaks upon acceleration for about 3 seconds, goes away completely once the engine is warm

Mine still chirps a little here and there when it's around -23 Celsius... I'm just going to ignore it though.

Mine has begun squealing lately too, just replaced the timing belt so maybe an adjustment is needed.

Mine has begun squealing lately too, just replaced the timing belt so maybe an adjustment is needed.

Yeah if the water pump was changed with the timing belt, then you need to tighten the water pump/ alternator belt its slipping from being not tight enough( the tensioner is on the alternator, its a long bolt running across the top of the alternator). But if it only seems to squeal in really cold weather like mine then leave it.

My timing belt occasionally squeaks when the car is cold. Started letting the car idle for a minute or two before setting off in cold weather, and it hasn't happened since. The belt is brand new so I'm thinking it's just too loose, (or maybe just breaking in?) I don't think I'm going to bother with it.

Back