Heater Problem

joneb4evr

:
02 Mazda Protege5
After the car warms up the heater starts to work fine. After about 5-10 minutes of having the heater on, cold air starts to flow. The heater stops working. Anyone have any idea what's going on? :(

Okay, turns out my heater works fine until I change the temperature to a less hot setting. So I'm going to assume its something with the climate control. When I move the knob from the hottest setting, the air just gets cold and doesn't get warm even if I move the knob back to the hottest setting. Anyone know where to go from there?

Okay, turns out my heater works fine until I change the temperature to a less hot setting. So I'm going to assume its something with the climate control. When I move the knob from the hottest setting, the air just gets cold and doesn't get warm even if I move the knob back to the hottest setting. Anyone know where to go from there?

I bet i know what is wrong because i just fixed my heat today. Check the cable that is attached to the knob. It is down behind the dash on the passenger side (Take out your glove box for easy access). I am betting that your cable has pulled the little metal tab it is attached to off of the plastic (I do not mean at the end of the cable where it attaches to the knob...there is a metal clip before the end of the cable meets the white knob).

You see there is a cable that opens/holds open the heater door and it is held in place by a sharp metal clip that attaches to a white platic tab. The cable is held like that because it is in a sleeve and when you turn the knob the clip holds the sleeve and the knob pulls the door open. If the clip is off then the cable has enough slack that it wont open the door, but it will still move.

Last edited:
I am betting that the cable and clip came off and the reason your heat works in the all the way hot position is because of the way it is caught behind the dash...when you turn the know all the way the sleeve catches on something but then the cable slides through opening the heater door. But when you turn it to a colder setting it gives enough slack to get uncaught and the door slams shut.

THE FIX: Make sure the metal clip is back in place (there is a white tab that sticks straight out...very obvious looking) then put the sleeved part of the cable back in the clip making sure that the sleeve it clipped near the end so it pulls the door all the way open.

Last edited:
Cable attachment inside the dash has come loose.

Metal Clip on Cable is supposed to attach to a white plastic part of the console.

thanks guys. i'm betting that's it for sure too because i did pull the front panel off to install the oem radio, and i had pulled out the cable from the clip for that changes the air flow.

Back