heat question..

dizzylizzy

:
Mazda CX-5
Anyone else notice that the heat isn't as "hot" as you'd like? I have the gauge all the way down to the hottest setting and it takes awhile for it to warm up. I've just started using the heat now since its getting crazy cold here in Chicago. Even being in the car for awhile and the engine is fully warm, it still seems not as warm as my older car (1999 jetta)

Just curious if anyone else noticed this.

Thanks

Ironically, it's the fast warm up feature that sends the early heat right out the exhaust to the catalytic converter that causes a delay of a minute or so to the coolant in the head beginning to heat up. Once it's fully warm the heat cranks plenty hot.

Yes. The skyactiv doesnt put out enough heat to keep the engine at operating temp when just driving slowly around town. I have actully had the cold light come back on after having the fan on high in slow traffic when temps are single digits or below. It takes a good 5 miles or so on the highway to be fully up to temp. The blue light goes out at 130 degrees, no where near operating temp.

One thing that helps is to block the grill. I have 80% of mine blocked. I can now get the engine temp up to 180 where it normally operates in mild weather.

Yes. The skyactiv doesnt put out enough heat to keep the engine at operating temp when just driving slowly around town. I have actully had the cold light come back on after having the fan on high in slow traffic when temps are single digits or below. It takes a good 5 miles or so on the highway to be fully up to temp. The blue light goes out at 130 degrees, no where near operating temp.

One thing that helps is to block the grill. I have 80% of mine blocked. I can now get the engine temp up to 180 where it normally operates in mild weather.

That probably helps improve cold weather gas mileage too.

How are you measuring the temperature? Are you using a OBDII sensor with a connection to your phone? I have been looking for one for a while now

How are you measuring the temperature? Are you using a OBDII sensor with a connection to your phone? I have been looking for one for a while now

Yes. I am using an OBDlink MX and Dashcommand. If ylu search this forum, you will find an older thread of mine with details.

Back