headligth condenstation in 2011 with active HID

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
(i know there are other threads for this but i did not see any firm answers on how to properly fix this out of warranty)

ok, as the title says i have a 2011 3 with the active HID system anyways, the passenger side housing got some condensation in it after i hand washed the car at home for the first time (just bought it a week and half ago) however it did not get condensation in it when it was raining the 3 days prior nor did it have any signs of it when i looked at it prior to buying, but after washing i showered and came back 20-30 minutes later and the area in the assembly where the turn signal is had a large amount of condensation in it and the HID bulb will not turn on. i swapped the bulbs on the hid over and the bulbs both work on the driver side so i am fairly sure it is the ballast/igniter assembly for the HID that shorted and failed due to water ingress. checked the fuse labeled h/l rh low and it is ok, is there another fuse i may need to check before suspecting the ballast is done? i also have googled and searched and see this is a common issue, i then noticed a small bit of the plastic undersheild right under the right front turn signal socket has been ripped off as if a rock hit it, and it makes me wonder if this is not why it is getting water in, as the socket for the turn signal may not be 100% waterproof. the hid plastic cover and rubber seal are in place on both sides and seem to be sealing fine from that part. what is my best bet to permanently fix this problem? as the headlight assembly is $600 "reconditioned" from rockauto.com and i would still need a ballast, plus pay someone to take off the bumper as i tend to screw bumpers up when i remove them. no junkyard around has a model with active HID or even just HID in it. anyone have any suggestions? drivers side is perfectly fine and both assemblies are oem with oem part numbers stamped on them.

Back