2016~2023 Has anyone tried AutoSock with their CX-9 as a tire chain substitute?

So I was looking to purchase tire chains for my CX-9, only to see that Mazda states in their manual that if you need tire chains and your tires are 20" (like mine are), you should switch your tires to 18" to have enough clearance to use tire chains. Like WTF ?! ....... This bummed me out so I spoke with a Mazda service center and they recommended this thing called 'AutoSock', which is literally a fabric based 'sock' that goes over your tires and functions like a tire chain. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Apparently they're just as effective as normal tire chains.

Has anyone tried these with their CX-9s ? I'm curious to know.

Better check your local laws as far as required chains for "chain up" laws on mountain passes.

Apparently in WA state (where I am) they are an approved substitute. But if they’re not recommended then do you guys actually swap out all original 20” tires and put in 18” ones, JUST to install normal chains ? ... Isn’t that kinda crazy to replace all tires JUST to install tire chains ?

You know that installing any of those things involves rolling around on the ground, possibly in snow or slush.

I've bought 3 sets over the last 20 or 30 years but managed to get by without ever installing them. I could see buying a set of 18" wheels to install snow tires.

Why change wheel size? The 255/50-20 has an outside diameter of 30.1" The 255/60-18 has an O.D. of 30" Both are the same width. The difference is 3/64" on top and bottom. Chains will fit the same on either size.

Tirerack's suggested minus-one size is 245/70-17. The Blizzak in that size has an O.D. of 30.6", even harder to chain up in the rare case of roads so bad it's chains or go home. I'm running 245/65-17 Blizzaks ('cuz I had 17" Kia wheels that fit just right).

Why change wheel size? The 255/50-20 has an outside diameter of 30.1" The 255/60-18 has an O.D. of 30" Both are the same width. The difference is 3/64" on top and bottom. Chains will fit the same on either size.

Tirerack's suggested minus-one size is 245/70-17. The Blizzak in that size has an O.D. of 30.6", even harder to chain up in the rare case of roads so bad it's chains or go home. I'm running 245/65-17 Blizzaks ('cuz I had 17" Kia wheels that fit just right).

Well this is what’s written in the Mazda manual:
Use of tire chains on a vehicle equipped with P255/50R20 specification tires could cause interference with the vehicle body and scratching. If tire chains are to be used, replace both front and rear tires with P255/60R18 tires. Please consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

I see the negative reviews, which is what has me skeptical even if they’re an approved substitute.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see people replacing all their tires just to be able to put on tire chains for a day perhaps. So I’m wondering what people do in this situation when the manufacturer is recommending switching to less wider tires to be able to use tire chains safely.

I never noticed that in the manual. I have a 2012 Grand Touring, I've used chains about 2 - 3 times a year (if that) as we don't often get snow in Portland, OR and I don't go looking for snow. I've not had a problem with the chains, but I keep it slow when chained up and use additional tensioners.

I used autosocks before and they are handsdown 1000x better than chains. Just don't go fast.

They slip right on and you will be on your way in 2 minutes while watching others suffer putting on chains.

Best part is no possible way it would damage the car like chains do.

Back