Handling of the P5

I don't think my insurance asked what color my car was.

KYREDP5 said:
Yeah, and it's near impossible to slide the car lateraly. I've yet to slide while tossing it around in the twisties, whereas my probe would slide fairly easily, even with new tires.

Hmmm...I've had my car slide on me twice. Both times the road was wet and it was while I was making a right turn. Nothing too harsh just a minor slide. I think it may have more to do with the stock tires though.

Last edited:
pingdum said:
I don't think my insurance asked what color my car was.

But you gave them your VIN, which has a color code in it, or associated with it.

The car as it comes from the factory handles pretty well. The sways seem correct for the weight and bias of the car, and the shocks have it a bit overdamped, which is good, as the wheels/tires are heavy - No doubt, Mazda saved a few bucks there.

I replaced the OEM wheels tires (35 pounds each) with a 32 pound combo, and it made a very noticeable improvement in the handling on anything other than a billiard table smooth road.

Even at 32 pounds, I'm still 6 pounds per corner heavier than what I have on my Miata, but there aren't many combinations one can buy which fit the P5 that are lighter than what I now have.

I can only imagine the negative effects on handling one would get with a 40 pound 17 or 18 inch combo on this car, but I suspect those who like the really big wheels aren't too intertested in handling anyway.

Don

DarK_anGel1412 said:
the myth that insurance is higher, its not i checked also
Actually I was talking about the myth that red cars especially red sports cars are #1 targets for police officers,but I guess you can add the insurance crap too.It doesn't matter anyways,their both BS.:D

It's not that red cars are targets, it's that they're more likely to be noticed by the police. The bright red colour catches your eye, whether you're a cop or not. Simple human fact. Not a problem as long as you're a good driver, but if you're being naughty and the police are scanning the road looking for someone to pull over, the bright red colour sure makes it easy for them to see you.

I traded a heavily performanced 2001 Honda Civic EX......and off the showroom floor without any mods, the Protege 5 kills the handeling I had...which I was absolutely amazed at. I've also owned a 928 Porsche and other high performance cars......and I tell you the handeling these cars generate for a MSRP under 20 grans is unbelievable. HP wise..well it is still a very fun ride.....with future HP help on the way...but coming from 300 plus HP cars...this little 4 ganger can hold its own....even with 4-5000 dollars worth of crap I loaded on my traded Honda...Peace and enjoy your shopping!!

The P5 is a hell of a car for the money. Handling is definitely one of its strong points, along with the styling, of course.

The polished alloys aren't a great bargain. And they don't look so great on most colors, IMHO. They're *aight* on the black mica, and maybe the red, I guess - but other than that, I don't care for 'em. A guy down the block from me has a silver P5 with the polished wheels, and it looks like ass to me. I've got a silver one also, but with the stock alloys (soon to be swapped for the new-style 2003 rims - got myself a deal on 'em). I like mine better - and not just *because* it's mine!

For color - I've seen the new Laser Blue, and it's the only one (other than *maybe* the Black) that makes me wanna trade my silver in! It is SOOO sharp - go for it, if you can!

But don't base your buying decision on resale value! All the colors will hold up just fine on a car that is well-maintained. All of the colors look so good - I'd think a well-maintained yellow car would re-sell for MORE than some of the other colors. I'm probably wrong, but the car looks so good in yellow, I can't imagine it losing any real resale value just from that.

~HH

I read a post that had 2004 pictures. Is it true that the car is changing radically? I know most will disagree but since I don't own the car yet I really like the new look. I would either want to wait or hope its not coming out...

kenny_dilger said:
I read a post that had 2004 pictures. Is it true that the car is changing radically? I know most will disagree but since I don't own the car yet I really like the new look. I would either want to wait or hope its not coming out...

Really? - you have a link to that post? I'd love to see these pictures.

Are you certain you weren't looking at Mazda6 wagon pics? That car has a similar look to the P5, but it's larger and much more "station wagon" in its proportions.

Anyway - link up those pics if you can find 'em.

~HH

am i blind or something what are the difference in the wheels from 2002 to 2003?????????pics would help or a good description.

2002 wheels:
Close Up.jpg

2002.5 and 2003 wheels:
p5_ext_wheels.jpg

Guess you ARE blind. ;) J/K man. Not only do the newer wheels have a different style, but they also don't have the "lip" around the outside.

The more I see these, the more I like 'em - glad I'm getting me a set!

~HH

wowo they do look alot better........i just know the 2003 wheels thats all i ever have seen...sorry....thanks man for the pics..

Back