GT trim production hiatus

Does anyone think there will be other options on tirerack.com sometime in the future? Right now it's only the 1 tire choice - yikes!

I heard the same thing from our dealer...they said they can't even place any orders for GTs because of the tire shortage. Luckily my GT came in yesterday, though :) My first Mazda and LOVING it!

If there are more cars being spec'd out w/the same tire size I'm sure more tire companies will start manufacturing them.

Does anyone think there will be other options on tirerack.com sometime in the future? Right now it's only the 1 tire choice - yikes!

I heard the same thing from our dealer...they said they can't even place any orders for GTs because of the tire shortage. Luckily my GT came in yesterday, though :) My first Mazda and LOVING it!

Well it looks like the rumor could be true. Ahhh, I have no patience and the idea of having to wait even longer is gonna ruin me! I really didn't like any of the other cars we've been cross shopping. Looks like my husband might win and we'll be driving home in a sky blue cx5 in a few weeks...

Anyone know what width the GT wheels are?

I'm guessing we shouldn't have any issues stepping up to a 235/55, which is a readily available size in the Parada Spec-X. That's the hot tire on the Audi forums for the Q5/Q7, so there is no reason it wouldn't perform well on our CX-5, and it's a good price for what it is.

A HUGE benefit that I'm looking forward to is the far increased tread life... Moving from a 5k+ lbs Q7, the CX-5 should be FAR more gentle on a set of tires. :D

19's are 7.0" wide. Curious if Parada Spec-X come in 235-50-19?

the spec-x is only available in 235-55-19

edit my post the w-drive is a winter tire...sorry

Last edited:
Found out that one of the Toyo factories was in Sendai, and was affected by the Tsunami. But this problem was solved due to a Toyo factory in the US, exporting to Japan.

The factory in Bartow County, Georgia accounts for a large percentage of production.

If there were ever a problem with tyre production in Japan, surely the Georgia factory (or Chinese factory) would come into play to sort out production delays.

Production in Georgia has been so strong that they even expanded last year:
http://gov.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,165937316_172445682_173313475,00.html

As a weirdo who bought a GT but had them swap the 17's for it I can fabricate a reason why this came about:

the specific 19" tire size has a single tire made by Kumho and (Toyo?). Go to TireRack, Tires.com, etc. and search the 19's size and become dismayed by the lack of choice and outrageous price (same exact Kumho on the 17's cost 50%). I LOVED the look of those 19s, but come on Mazda, the CX-5 ain't worth $900/tire change.

More likely, your dealership is stalling for time. Salesmen don't know squat about their own product, let alone the logistics of what's coming to port. My wife's CX-5 test driver explained how the CX-5 had rear seat ventilation ports in the back of the center console. IDK, maybe the nitwit thought she was blind? Subsequent sales mgr. (trying to force an on the spot sale) explained to me how awesome Mazdas were in comparison to much smaller companies like Subaru - who only make like 3 vehicles. ??? Point is, they will say anything.

No harm in talking to another dealership to see what their line is on the situation... most dealers have NO loyalty to you, don't fool yourself into being loyal to them.

BTW, we picked ours up on the 25th from the best-rated dealer in Georgia... they had to drive it in from N.C. because they're selling so hot. ...with as hard as they looked, I would've heard the same line, I imagine, if true.

I'm just wondering if the market for this size 19" tire won't expeand as it seems that tires on just about all vehicles are getting huge. That should bring down the price and unless you just drive the snot out of your car the tires should last three to four years, no?

^ Yes, that's why I'm not worried about it and have no plans to replace tires for at least 3 years. It's not like the expensive rear tires on a Porsche lasting only 10K miles.

The market for 19's has expanded a lot in last decade (in US market). I have 19's on my Lexus and many BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Audi, Porsche, Ford, GM, Chrysler models have them now.

Last edited:
According to our dealer, the GT Trim production is now Un-hiatused. The red CX-5 GT w/ tech package that I have been trying to buy for over a month is back on the June shipment.

Good luck to any other frustrated buyers out there...

Thanks, for the help everyone. Good to know that production is starting up again, if it ever really stopped! I spoke to another dealer today and they were taking orders for GTs so yes it seems that all is well. We will probably stick with our original salesman though, since he is actually an acquaintance of ours. And on an even better note, I think I have finally given in and will be pulling the trigger on a sky blue gt. Finally got to see one in person and it is actually really good looking IMO. it's bright and bold which fits me to a T :D. I will be sure to post picks when we get it in a couple of weeks!

Back