Grinding Sound - Rear Passenger Wheel

MTV

:
2002 Proteg 5
There's this grinding sound coming from the rear passenger side of my car. It's present when I'm rolling at low speeds and is a mixture of a clunking and a grinding metal sound.

Could it be the bearing? The bushing under the spring is half gone, but I don't think this is causing the problem, as it gets louder when I go faster...

Any ideas?

I had this recently on a different wheel, and rotating the break rotors seemed to do the trick.

My rotors and brake pads were only about a year old, so I was surprised. The guy originally gave the "warped rotor" diagnosis and thought he could machine them down a bit, but then he decided to just try rotating the rotors, and it worked.

I also happen to know I had been slacking with tire rotations and proper air pressure, so getting back on track with that and making sure the lug nuts were torqued properly also improved my bad wheel/tire sounds!

I'm dealing with the same problem.

It isnt the brakes. I've narrowed it down to a endlink problem, or a blown tophat in the rear strut.

Can anyone point me to the FAQ on how to remove the interior plastic around the strut tower?

Back