Great, We Got a Mazda3, a Mazda6, and ?

My question to the forum is this.

Back in the day, there was a 323, a 626, and a 929 (which I have the HONOR of driving currently).

I was thinking and wondering why Mazda has not created a premium sedan ala the 929 concept. Does anyone know if there is anything in the works for a bigger sedan than the 6?

Or for something that premium, do we just turn to Volvo? My problem with that is that Mazda engineers don't really design Volvos. I don't know how sporty a premium sedan could get, but I'd be curious as to what the Mazda engineers could come up with.

Or wait, is this premium sedan the Ford Fusion (bastards)?

I think the Ford Fusion is the same as the 6 just with different look. not sure on that. but if you want a "permium sedan" i'd swing towards Nissan, or the IS300 or maybe a used CTS.

Depends on what Premium is in your eyes. How about a Acura, Saab, Audi, BMW? Already a lot of cars in that market space so Mazda will have to decide if they can move enough units to recoup the development and marketing costs.

I'd rather see them come out with a hybred or something like a Smart.

SP23goesroar said:
I think the Ford Fusion is the same as the 6 just with different look. not sure on that. but if you want a "permium sedan" i'd swing towards Nissan, or the IS300 or maybe a used CTS.

yes the Fusion is based of the 6 just like the Lincoln Zephyr and Mercury Milan and I'm sure a whole bunch of other products down the pipe.

Also when I think the 6 came out is replaced the Millenia as well as the 626. IIRC the Millenia was just a larger luxury 626, wouldn't that be a 929 anyway?

Okay agreed. The fusion is just another 6 (not bad if you ask me). The competition is thick when you think of Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and Mercedes.

What I'm thinking is along the lines of a Maxima. If you had to compare, Nissan has the Sentra, the Altima, and the Maxima. As I see it, Mazda has the 3 and the 6. Why not come out with a premium sedan starting around 26k?

yeah, mazda should come out with a nice seden around 26K. Like there version of the Ford 500. that would be (cool)

I think the Millennia was supposed to be an new-age 929. I like how mazda has done the naming...
Mz3 replaces 323 hatch/coupe (Protege) and fuses it with MX-3
Mz5 seems to be a hybrid Mz3/MPV (I think of the V in MPV as a 5, so it's a small minivan-sized hatch)
Mz6 replaces 626 and fuses it with MX-6

I still don't think that Mazda should have phased out the Protege, it's a great option for someone looking for a small compact car like a Cavvy or a Saturn or something like that.

Last edited:
I'm thinkin Mazda needs to make a compeditor to the G35 lineup ;)

although, that migt cut into rx8 sales... I dunno how well a 35k Mazda would do....

rx7gslse said:
I'm thinkin Mazda needs to make a compeditor to the G35 lineup ;)

although, that migt cut into rx8 sales... I dunno how well a 35k Mazda would do....

But I'm not talking 35k Mazda.

You're probably talking between 26-32k at most. Even Toyota has the Avalon.

There is definately a market out there for a car like this. The Maxima does well because compared to its competitors it is quite a step above in terms of style, substance, and performance.

Are these not qualities that are supposed to be at the heart of Mazda? So why not come out with one? They could probably make a better car than a Maxima.

Aggressive, sporty, but classy. It would probably be sold as a upper class sedan quality at a portion of the price.

What would they call it by the way?

Mazda 9?

Mazda9 will be the name of the production MX-Crossport (actually, just the exterior of the Crossport) and is coming in calendar year 2006.

There will not be a sedan larger than the Mazda6. However, having said this, the next-gen Mazda6 in N. America will be getting larger.

wongpres said:
Mazda9 will be the name of the production MX-Crossport (actually, just the exterior of the Crossport) and is coming in calendar year 2006.

There will not be a sedan larger than the Mazda6. However, having said this, the next-gen Mazda6 in N. America will be getting larger.

Thanks for being the proverbial buzz kill wrongpres.

Do you have an opinion?

It's whether or not "we" or "you" think that there should be a premium sedan to go along with the 3 and the 6 ala the Avalon and Maxima.

From the information I have, I agree with Mazda in regards to not creating a premium sedan (e.g. Avalon or Maxima fighter) in the short term. The key is the next-gen Mazda6, which is coming in the not too distant future. It will be larger (think Altima), and the Altima and Maxima are not that far apart in terms of size. Luxury-wise, with the next-gen Mazda6 having more luxury options, I just don't see enough of a N. American market that is willing to go much more luxury & size than this next Mazda6.

Back