Great Hole-In-The-Wall Restaurants of Missouri

Blendercloud

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Hey Everybody,

I travel back and forth from KC to St. Louis quite a bit. It's always interested me finding that great and affordable place to eat that I've never heard of. So I've started this thread to let our members, whether your're from Missouri or just passing through, discuss your favorite, obscure place to eat!

I recently just had breakfast in Westport (KC) at Mama's Cafe. They had something like 70 different types of omelets and French toast was deep fried 3-inches thick! My group of five were in and out in an hour on a Saturday morning with no wait and spent less than $35 with a tip.

Sweet Water BBQ.

If you're in St. Louis going west on highway 44, it's exit 163 on the south side of the highway. This is a perfect pit stop if you're heading down to Rolla/Table Rock Lake/Springfield. They have a fantastic 1/2 brisket - 1/2 pulled pork sandwich.

Sweet Water BBQ.

If you're in St. Louis going west on highway 44, it's exit 163 on the south side of the highway. This is a perfect pit stop if you're heading down to Rolla/Table Rock Lake/Springfield. They have a fantastic 1/2 brisket - 1/2 pulled pork sandwich.

Excellent post! Hopefully when this thread evolves I can put up a list of categories and locations with addresses. Maybe even links to Google Maps!

Excellent post! Hopefully when this thread evolves I can put up a list of categories and locations with addresses. Maybe even links to Google Maps!

I could go all day with food joints in and around St. Louis....I love going and finding/trying new places. I'll post up a few from time to time.

Blues City Deli - Benton Park (right by Soulard in St. Louis City) - 2438 McNair, St. Louis, MO 63104 -- The BEST sandwiches in St. Louis. Everything from muffelatta's, po'boys, italian beefs, hot & cold sandwiches of all kinds. On Saturday's they have a live blues or jazz band playing and they serve beers. Be warned, if you go during the 1100-0130 time frame, be prepared to wait in a line that is usually out the front door.

Arris' Pizza - Multiple locations throughout central MO (Jeff. City, Fulton, CoMo, & Springfield) -- Great thin crust pizza for those of us who can't stand Imo's thin crust (it's like a cracker with ketchup and EZ Cheese warmed up). Pretty cheap, too.

I'm sure many people know this, but Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia. Amazing, not too expensive.

But let's say one with only 2 locations:
Firacci's Pizza, off Manchester in Ballwin by Shop N' Save, other location is in Illinois somewhere. Family owned place, father sold it to his son about 10 years back but still hangs around greeting guests. All family members work there and it is purely and 100% no doubt my favorite pizza in the world. I think around 12 bucks for a medium, 15 for a large, but they are big and fill you up fast, easily worth the money.

Also, I was driving through to the Lake of the Ozarks on a business trip with my Step Dad and we stopped somewhere called Karen's or Kelly's Cafe (Can't remember which), truly a hole in the wall, for 5 dollars I got a pound bacon-cheese burger and fries and a drink. Best and biggest and quickest burger. I really wish I could find that place again or remember where it was, I'll talk to Jeff and figure out where it was and what it was actually called, easily worth a few miles out of the way, we got lost getting back to the highway. On the way back we tried to find it to stop again for dinner and couldn't find it. :(.

I'll try and remember more. My family is either a really nice place, cook at home, or hole-in-the wall restaurant kind of family. One day I plan on opening up a little restaurant out on the east coast after I get out of the military.

Harmer's Cafe in Edgerton, MO.......don't leave without trying the pie......and check out the guestbook....you won't believe how many countries and U.S. cities are represented...

Jamie's Place in Holden, MO.....get there for All-You-Can-Eat Taco Day....or any day.....delicious food......

Last edited:
It's great to see you guys kicking in on this thread. I'm loving it already. Keep it up!

Like twowings has done, invite your friends from around the 4-state area to join in on this thread. When we get enough, I'll clean it up and put map links and a map up in this thread. We'll make it look all fancy schmancy.

roma's pizza in southern IL (bethalto) is one of the best hometown family owned pizza places i've ever been to. As my boyfriend would say it's "damn good pizza." everyone needs to go check it out.. once you go there, you'll always want to go back.
http://romaspizza.cc/

gilliganz in edwardsville IL has the best wings! it's a little townie bar and grill but it's so good! check it out! (i don't think there's a website for it but your hold still go!!)

Back