Got new tires -- Michelin Primacy MXM4

:
2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.
Well with just under 1500 mile on the odometer, I went ahead and changed out the stock Dunlops. I was going to wait till next year and drive a few more thousand miles but I've been itching to get rid of them. Got them at 225/45/18, just slightly wider than stock. I originally wanted to get the Continental DWS but the shop I went to told me they bubble really easily and don't handle as well as the Michelin's. They had a few damaged DWS's lying around with a bulge on them from hitting pot holes. Price for the Michelin's were about the same and after some research I went ahead with the MXM4's.

First thing I noticed was how bumpy the ride was but was really quiet. I got on the freeway and the TPMS light came on along with a beep. I went back to the shop and they checked and they had the tires at 39 psi. After lowering it back to 36psi the ride was a lot smoother. I'll also have to see if these low rolling resistance tires will improve my mpg or not. I managed to trade in my stock tires and got $150 for them so that helped pay for some of the new tires. Didn't know I can trade in before, last new car I had I swapped out tires within the first few hundred miles and I didn't ask for any trade in and practically just gave the tires to them =/ I'll report back after a few thousand miles to see how it goes :D

BTW, our cars don't have a tire pressure monitor sensor anymore? The guy told me the sensor is in the ABS or something.

That's correct. The 2014 Mazda3 doesn't use TPMS sensors. It's discussed in the manual.

Can you notice the increase in size - does it appear to fill the wheel well a little better than stock? PS - set all your tires at your ideal pressure and then hit (hold?) the "TPMS" button by your left knee...

Yeah I figured out how to reset the TPMS at the tire place :D As for the size, it is only slightly wider but the same height as before. Looks slightly beefier from behind tho. 225/45/18 seems to be a more popular size, same as I used on my previous car.

I'll be interested to see if you notice any mileage difference compared to the stock Dunlops.

I'll report back on my next tank of gas compared to my current tank. Good news is, ride seems a lot smoother and quieter today than yesterday. I guess it's worn in a bit more, about 60 miles on them. Grip is really really good, took a sharp turn pretty fast without any problem.

Just a quick update on these tires. Just last night I was driving on the freeway and I realized there was zero road noise coming from the tires. Zero! There are still some tire noise tho, depending on the road surfaces. I've put a few hundred miles on them now and I guess they're more worn in. Ride is really smooth over tiny bumps and tire noisy is almost all gone (on most roads) so I only hear the wind noise lol Definitely smoother and quieter than when they were first put on, now I know why people like Michelin tires so much. Never knew tires need break in periods.

Oh yeah, drove on heavy downpour couple days ago and the car handled really nicely and no signs of any traction loss and stuff. I was even getting onto the round fwy on ramp at high speeds while it was raining. Taking sharp turns on dry road is excellent too. I don't remember how the stock Dunlops were but they handled pretty well too.

Last edited:
I can see a dramatic difference with the super sports compare to the Dunlops.super positive steering and less of tire and road noise,although the Dunlops didn't bother me in that respect they just felt like the Mazda deserved better,that turned out to be true.

Good to hear that better tires=better car. I'm gonna change mine once they wear out :p They're ok but its pretty clear the 3 S deserves a better set of shoes.

@lowincash: Does the car still handle like its on rails with those tires?

I've taken my car up and through Mulholland Highway at least half a dozen times now and I get through it with a huge grin on my face.

Good to hear that better tires=better car. I'm gonna change mine once they wear out :p They're ok but its pretty clear the 3 S deserves a better set of shoes.

@lowincash: Does the car still handle like its on rails with those tires?

I've taken my car up and through Mulholland Highway at least half a dozen times now and I get through it with a huge grin on my face.

Yup still handles very well and still smooth and very quiet. I did get a nail in my tire, twice, within a couple weeks of each other on different sides :( Still running strong tho. I would love to take a drive through Mulholland one day, the most excitement I got was driving to Pasadena on the 110 lol

Freeway on off loops have been the most exciting here in socal,I try not to use breaks much when turning,just crank the wheel.

Yup still handles very well and still smooth and very quiet. I did get a nail in my tire, twice, within a couple weeks of each other on different sides :( Still running strong tho. I would love to take a drive through Mulholland one day, the most excitement I got was driving to Pasadena on the 110 lol

Good to hear! Mulholland is fun. I always go in the middle of the month cause there's not that many cops around. It really shows you how much this car can do and it loves to oversteer lol

I don't really use the brakes when I turn since the car itself slows down really well.

Well with just under 1500 mile on the odometer, I went ahead and changed out the stock Dunlops. I was going to wait till next year and drive a few more thousand miles but I've been itching to get rid of them. Got them at 225/45/18, just slightly wider than stock. I originally wanted to get the Continental DWS but the shop I went to told me they bubble really easily and don't handle as well as the Michelin's. They had a few damaged DWS's lying around with a bulge on them from hitting pot holes. Price for the Michelin's were about the same and after some research I went ahead with the MXM4's.

First thing I noticed was how bumpy the ride was but was really quiet. I got on the freeway and the TPMS light came on along with a beep. I went back to the shop and they checked and they had the tires at 39 psi. After lowering it back to 36psi the ride was a lot smoother. I'll also have to see if these low rolling resistance tires will improve my mpg or not. I managed to trade in my stock tires and got $150 for them so that helped pay for some of the new tires. Didn't know I can trade in before, last new car I had I swapped out tires within the first few hundred miles and I didn't ask for any trade in and practically just gave the tires to them =/ I'll report back after a few thousand miles to see how it goes :D

BTW, our cars don't have a tire pressure monitor sensor anymore? The guy told me the sensor is in the ABS or something.

Which store? I would like to trade in OEM tires too, if possible.

Aso, I can't be wrong but more surface contact means better grip at the cost of lower mpg.

Which store? I would like to trade in OEM tires too, if possible.

Aso, I can't be wrong but more surface contact means better grip at the cost of lower mpg.

I bought mine from a local mom and pop store. I asked them if I could trade in my "new" tires and they offered me $150 for them. At the time there was also a promotion going on for Michelin and I got a $75 gift card rebate thing. The store didn't tell me about it, I just found out online while researching the tires.

I got low rolling resistance tires and my mpg has been same or better, not exactly sure since I didn't keep track of it but handles really well for sure. On my previous car it came with 215/45/18's too and I also replaced it with 225's, I like the slightly beefier look.

I got the same trade in,well 160 the way I look at it the car performed so well new.So,I took advantage of optimal performance , I could have waited 40 or 50 k,by then the struts woulda been wearin.I spent a lot of time reviewing the specs and all on tire rack first.So far so good.Plus I live in socal so I picked accordingly.

Price for the Michelin's were about the same and after some research I went ahead with the MXM4's.

Hey Lowincash,
just curious..did you put the 225's on the stock rims (18" sGT)? did they need to do anything besides mounting and balancing?
any offset spacers needed?

Thanks!

Hey Lowincash,
just curious..did you put the 225's on the stock rims (18" sGT)? did they need to do anything besides mounting and balancing?
any offset spacers needed?

Thanks!

Yeah I'm using 225's on the stock 18's. All they did was mounted and balanced them, nothing else. My previous car's stock tires were same size as this one and I used the same 225 size tires, no problem there either.

Back