Got into a accident yesterday

Hey guys a little update it's official she is a total loss with $17,000 worth of damage, they are giving me way more then I expected for the SUV. Infact very close to the damage amount I stated above. Luckily I owe very little on it.

The whole entire right rear side the breaks, wheel, whole right rear suspension got destroyed. The quarter panel is the most expensive part of the repair, followed by the airbag then rear suspension.
Good to hear you are getting a decent payout.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I also was rear ended & totaled. I was stopped in a line of cars waiting for a red light. An elderly woman in a MB SUV hit the gas instead of the brakes & rear ended me, pushing me into a brand new Charger in front of me. I sustained front & rear damage but the back took the brunt & my air bag didn't go off because I had my foot on the brake which lessened my forward travel, just enough to make contact with the Charger.

Because my 2019 CX-5 GTR was only 4 months old, the claims adjuster did a market evaluation & I actually got about $1000 more than I paid for it. I had gotten a pretty decent discount when I bought it. While I waited a couple weeks for my insurance & the woman's insurance to settle things, my dealer had my vehicle's clone on it's lot with 5 miles on it. I worried that the longer it sat it might be used for test drives & accumulate some miles. Fortunately it did not & was still available when I received the insurance check. I then made an offer on the clone which included my Mazda loyalty and got a total of $5k off MSRP (this was pre pandemic).

As mentioned above, 2019 was the first year of the CX-5 turbo. I suggest going with the turbo if you can find one, although I'm a bit biased.

Good Luck & keep us posted.

Each model year the cars get heavier but the engines power stays the same.

If getting a newer vehicle, you should probably go with the turbo. I have a 2018 which was sluggish and you could feel the engine strain. Since swapped to smaller & lighter rims/tires and lost unsprung weight, the cx5 is more powerful, faster and feels like it's more sporty mode. That model year was just a tad too heavy for the engine. Each year the models got heavier and heavier.
Base/sport Curb weights
2016 - 3200 lbs
2018 - 3527 lbs
2020 - 3541 lbs
2022 - 3717 lbs

The 2022 GT and signatures could be up to 3876 lbs.

Last edited:
Each model year the cars get heavier but the engines power stays the same.

If getting a newer vehicle, you should probably go with the turbo. I have a 2018 which was sluggish and you could feel the engine strain. Since swapped to smaller & lighter rims/tires and lost unsprung weight, the cx5 is more powerful, faster and feels like it's more sporty mode. That model year was just a tad too heavy for the engine. Each year the models got heavier and heavier.
Base/sport Curb weights
2016 - 3200 lbs
2018 - 3527 lbs
2020 - 3541 lbs
2022 - 3717 lbs

The 2022 GT and signatures could be up to 3876 lbs.

FYI some of those weights are FWD. Curb weight for the 19 is 3,541 FWD, 3,679 AWD. https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets.../2019/cx-5/2019-mazda-cx-5-features-specs.pdf You have to take the official curb weights with a grain of salt though because Mazda claims identical curb weights between trims with 17" and 19" wheels and other equipment differences which is clearly not accurate.

Why would they write a 2020 off for airbag deployment? Drivers air bag is a couple thousand at most.
Correct, this is an urban myth. It's usually quite simple. Repair costs less < 70% or 75% of value = totalled. That's it, has nothing to do with air bags per se, has to do with cost to repair per insurance company/state guidelines

Correct, this is an urban myth. It's usually quite simple. Repair costs less < 70% or 75% of value = totalled. That's it, has nothing to do with air bags per se, has to do with cost to repair per insurance company/state guidelines
You mean MORE than 70-75% right? And yes airbags are much more of an issue on an older car as a couple of thousand adds up when the value is lower.

Airbag deployed. Guarantee that's the only reason they totaled. it.
My mother was sandwiched in the middle of a four car pileup in October of 2019. None of her airbags went off. Considering the damage to the front and rear of her mitsushitty RVR (caved in tailgate and a cracked front bumper and radiator support)I think the airbag triggering system failed totally.
Glad the insurance totalled hers.

Sorry to hear. Hope everyone is ok.

I would inclined to get another CX5 vs a CX50.

I can't choose US quality over Japanese quality. That's just me.

Airbag deployed. Guarantee that's the only reason they totaled. it.
My wife got into an accident similar to this one. She got hit. Airbags deployed and they didn't total the vehicle. Almost 18k in damage and they fixed it.

Back