GM Synchromesh is teh ROCK!!!!

DistantTea

:
Mazdaspeed... of DOOM!
We finally found a damn 23mm socket and went to work replacing the crappy dealer supplied Mobile 1 tranny fluid with GM Synchromesh. Holy crapola I have a first gear! I might actually be able to drive this thing in traffic now.

Highly recommended mod for ALL mazdaspeeds. I used a long flexible funnel... from the time the car was jacked up to when I pulled the jack out was less than 20 minutes. Easier than an oil change.

My funnel reached much farther when I popped my little Calloway intake elbow off a bit... everything held itself in place.

Thanks to everyone who did this before to make this so easy. 50000% improvement over the crap that was shifting in there before.

yeah, i just switch to synthetic, i'm not sure what brand, but my mechanic did it for me, cause I was to tired to do it myself that day. But It made wonders after about 2,000 miles running it.

Could you help my sometime change mine out since I'm lacking a place to lift my car up?

make sure the car is level, if im not mistaken the fluid level is filled up to a drain hole and you run the risk of overfilling it if you jack up the front.

Don't fill up to the drain hole then... put in the specified amount in the manual.

muohio... just bring it on over and bring three quarts of GM Synchromesh... you can pick it up at Bill DeLord for $10/quart. I'll let you use my secret funnel of shame, which now has 20% less shame and 15% more funnel power.

Although all we'd do is jack up the front of the car, drain it, stick the funnel in and put slightly less than 3 quarts in. Its not rocket science... but I do have that fancy funnel.

Hopefully I'm doing mine tomorrow. I can't wait to see how much the MT-90 helps with the Kartboy bushings.

It's been working wonders for the Honda world for months/years now...I wondered when someone with an MSP would try it, and I'm glad to see that someone did and that it made a nice improvement!

Alex

I use pennzoil synchromesh at 5 dollars a quart in my msp. I put in at a 1000 miles and got 8000 on the car now
it works GREAT it one of the best gear oils i have try. I told a friend about it he put in his car with over a 100,000 miles on the car he said his trans work like new again u can get it
at auto zone.

Is there a certain type to use or is their only one syncromesh? Im really intrested so please let me know. Plus you get it at a GM dealer right. or is the pennzoil excatly the same? Thanks for any info.

The pennzoil synchromesh oil meets GM specifiction
#9985648 and chrysler MS9224 for synchromesh oil.
i think more than likely pennzoil makes the stuff for GM.
pennzoil synchromesh oil will not hurt yellow metals such
as bronze,brass and copper wicth is what most synchroners are made out of . Some GL5 oils will eat yellow
metals right up.I had the stuff in my car for over 7000
miles now work great my trans is every easy to shift all most to easy.

Speed its all the same stuff, syncromesh is a specific type of gear oil, not a brand. You can get it at autzone for 8 bucks a bottle(penzoil yellow bottle)....at any rate syncromesh was specifically designed to be used in cars, like DSMs, that have brass syncros which will corrode and deteriorate with longterm use of other gear oils. It doesn't hurt to use it in other cars, I'm not sure if our cars have brass syncros, but in my own personal experiences it has about the same feel as any other synthetic gear oil thats fresh...As a disclaimer I've only used it in DSMs, my corvette, mx6 and a jeep CJ7, so this is just my limited experience results...

All I can tell you is the OEM fluid sucked, the Mobile 1 was downright dangerously sucky and the GM Synchromesh is teh rock. We've never been happier with our transmission.

Remember the TFS LSD is kind of like a big 'ol synchro... The Synchromesh makes conical clutch happy.

My cars tranny isn't as smooth as the very first MSP that I test drove. I wonder if it varies by car.

muohio said:
My cars tranny isn't as smooth as the very first MSP that I test drove. I wonder if it varies by car.

Noob question here ... but i change the oil myself in my car all the time ... i have no idea how to change the tranny fluid though. Where is the bolt to remove to drain it and where do you fill it at. How much fluid will it hold?

Pics would be nice.

Thanks

Bremmer said:
So this is the regular gm synchromesh? I did a search and didn't find anyone saying synthetic. anyone?

I would suggest just going to a GM parts counter and getting the Synchromesh, or at least looking at it to compare to what some other people are talking about (Castrol Synchromesh, or whichever...).

Alex

Back