"Geddy PRofec B-spec II" EBC has a high boost spike. I could use some advice.

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
"Geddy PRofec B-spec II" EBC has a high boost spike. I could use some advice.

I could use some help with "Geddy PRofec B-spec II" EBC settings.

My end-goal is to configure it to a stable 10 psi (engine itself is stock, so for now that's as far as I want to go), *BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY*, I'd like to have least boost-spike possible. No matter what I try, however, it spikes A LOT.

Originally, I had an ATP wastegate actuator set (preloaded it with washers) to 8-9 psi. Then I installed the EBC and after playing with it, I ended up with following EBC settings:

SET: 40 %
Gain: 6 %
Set Gain: 60 PSI

With those settings, if, while cruising at ~5000 RPM, I'd go WOT, it would spike up to 12.5 PSI (sometimes less if I'm lucky) before settling at around 9 PSI. Once, my maximum EBC reading showed a 13.6 peak after a some laps at the track.

WTF? 13.6 PSI spike, settling at 9 PSI? That's an peek over-boost of 4.6 PSI. This isn't consistent with what I've been reading about this EBC, on this, and other forums, or is this normal?

== Then ==

I replaced the ATP Wastegate actuator with a "Forge" one. It is adjusted to only 5 PSI. I figured that the actuator arm adjustment can be left at a low boost setting since I'll be increasing the boost with the EBC. I'm not sure how true that is.

Now I'm running at (best settings I could come up with so far):

SET: 65 %
Gain: 9 %
Set Gain: 60 PSI

...and all I get is a steady 8.5 psi after a spike of 11.5 PSI (max, observed thus far). Again, a 3 PSI difference.

Are these spikes normal? Note that I got WOT at high RPM so that I can find out what the maximum spike is. If I accelerate more gently, naturally, the spike will be less pronounced. But it's the crazy boost spikes I'm concerned about. I don't want to blow the engine, not just yet.

== An observation worth mentioning ==:

1:
When I was trial-configuring the EBC with the new (Forge) wastegate, I would get higher spikes then I now get with the above settings, if the "Gain" was set too low or too high. At 9%, it seems to provide least spike. I read someplace else, that the best way to avoid the spike is to have the Gain set at the lowest setting. This hasn't been my experience. The EBC's manual is a little vague on that settings information. It's like it is reluctant to include all the details about how the settings behave and interact with each other. This "dont go to high or too low when adjusting Gain " is a new discovery for me. Im not sure if this is true or just a fluke.

2:
"Set Gain" setting doesn't seem to do anything. I can set it very low or very high (higher than boost) and it has no effect on the spike that I've noticed.

- Is my high spike normal? If not normal, then how can I reduce it?

- Does it matter what boost the wastegate actuator is set to if Im using an EBC?

Engine is stock. Mods that will might affect how quickly/slowly boost is built are:

- Corksport FMIC

- Injen CAI

- Steed Speed exhaust manifold (Steeds last revision [supposedly improves exhaust flow when compared to the previous version])

- Corksport 2.5-inch downpipe (S+J one-piece)

- 2.5-inch, mandrel-bent, straight through exhaust. High-flow cat might be the only restricting thing, but since it cooked long ago (car was running rich), its internals probably disintegrated by now.

- SS AF/C. Currently tuned to run at about 11.1 to 12.1 Air/Fuel Ratio (depending on the ECUs mood)

No one can help?

Maybe I made the post too long to read. How about:

"With EBC, boost spikes up to 5 psi no matter how I tweak the settings. Is this normal? Help, before I blow my engine!"

I have a Forge WGA and the Greddy EBC and I understand your problem. I have had the EBC installed for about a year and have been constantly playing with the settings on it. Right now my low boost setting is Set-~30%, Gain-~30-33, Set gain~55 and it runs about 9psi after spiking around 10. Every car is different and the settings change with the weather it seems. The boost has always spiked inconsistenly on my MSP even before the EBC and I am 99% sure it is due to the Forge WG not holding pressure properly as I have read similar accounts from others.

There are a couple threads (not msp specific) I have found that explain how to set up the EBC and it is very complicated. I have to read up on it every time I want to change the settings.

I have a Forge WGA and the Greddy EBC ... Right now my low boost setting is Set-~30%, Gain-~30-33, Set gain~55 and it runs about 9psi after spiking around 10.

Interesting settings when compared to mine.
If you were to turn your EBC off, what would your full boost settle at (more less) after the the spike?

There are a couple threads (not msp specific) I have found that explain how to set up the EBC and it is very complicated. I have to read up on it every time I want to change the settings.

If you still have the links, do pass them along to me. I've been using the EBC manual and some EVO post so far. More info won't hurt me.

Just throwing this out there, where is your boost source for this? Short loop, like a reference line off the hot pipe? or a long one from the manifold?
I believe my spike lessened when I transferred to my hot pipe...

Just throwing this out there, where is your boost source for this? Short loop, like a reference line off the hot pipe? or a long one from the manifold?
I believe my spike lessened when I transferred to my hot pipe...

this is true, I am running straight wastegate on a disco potato and i have absolutely zero spike and im running off the brake booster

Boost source to the EBC comes from the manifold.

...I believe my spike lessened when I transferred to my hot pipe...

"hot pipe" is your boost source? Could I see a picture of this setup?

Latest posts

Back