Gates Belts?

Really, what's so bad about them?
the rubber is bad.... bando is the ORIGINAL factory belt on japanese cars... they have much higher quality rubber which means they last longer.... and if anything, the goodyear gatorbacks are good too

I switched to the Gatorbacks when I installed my underdrive pulley in hopes the dreaded "squeal" wouldn't be so bad because they are advertised as being quieter. They still squealed decently but maybe not as much as other belts would have? They're quite expensive however...

Timing Belt Tensioner: FS01-12-700B
Spring, Tensioner: FS01-12-711
Idler Pulley: FS01-12-730A
Timing Belt: FS01-12-205

So when it comes down to it, what would you suggest for timing belts that don't cost an arm and a leg: Dayco, Beck/Arnley, Contitech, Gates, Mitsuboshi (not kidding, that's the real name) ... ?

Gates is only "OEM" to Mazda USA.... in otherwords, the lowest bidder garbage
the only OEM belt you can get for our cars that is a bando is the alternator belt... the replacement timing belt and A/C belts are gates... the factory ones are unita and bando

mitsuboshi is a brand typically used on a honda and subaru... they are very high quality... I would get those or a bando

I can take a knife and cut both up easily. Give it a rest. Unless you get the racing line your OEM s*** is s***.

Yeah, I figured Gates was the OEM, considering on the parts sites they have the OEM part number that they are compatible with.

So JDM Sam, are you saying we should be replacing the timing belt with Gates racing line, or would the Mitsuboshi brand be good enough? For those of you who might be reading this, you can find Gates Racing online distributors HERE.

I can't find a Gates Racing Timing belt for the Mazda Protege. Is there a belt for another car that's compatible?

What about Greddy timing belt ?? That guy from FL - w/ GT35R turbo he's got a greddy timing belt, isn't that one of the top lines ??

Back