gas meter sucks!

cowboycove

:
cx5
Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. Not sure if its faulty or if Mazda just put in sh!tty parts. I bought my car at 5 miles full tank of gas. I drove it for 140 miles and it still had full bars. I understand cars say full and still take on 2 gallons or so. So I figured it should be near full. After I lost the first bar I drove 90 miles. Tank now says quarter tank left. Which is very unproportioned. I'm trying to figure out my average mpg. But also wanted to figure out how many miles I've got until the car is dead from when the gas light turns on. I read on another post that someone got 70 miles. I just downloaded fully as well.

When the gas light turns on, fill it up ASAP! The manual states to fill it up at 1/4 tank The "range" goes to zero when you have two gallons left. Never run it till empty because you will damage the $600 900psi fuel pump. Play with the "info" button the steering wheel and get AVG mileage to show. Hold down the "info" button when showing AVG to zero out the AVG when you fill up the tank. Believe that also resets the RANGE.

Sounds like your gauge got stuck or something. Run another tank and see if it smooths out.

Last edited:
I swapped cars with my brother for the weekend. He said he pumped 13$ and it gave him a half tank from when the might turned on. I'm not sure the the average mpg is accurate either. Since the car is new it may not be giving the right reading. But I am currently at 19mpg per the car. I'm driving like a grandpa too. So I want to know my actual mpg. Fuelly should do that after a couple tanks.

I swapped cars with my brother for the weekend. He said he pumped 13$ and it gave him a half tank from when the might turned on. I'm not sure the the average mpg is accurate either. Since the car is new it may not be giving the right reading. But I am currently at 19mpg per the car. I'm driving like a grandpa too. So I want to know my actual mpg. Fuelly should do that after a couple tanks.

Do you know how to calculate your actual MPG manually?

Pump my tank? Track my mileage from when I pump. See how many gallons my car takes when I pump til max. Divide the miles by gallons in?

You got it about right. Sorry, wasn't trying to doubt you, but you said this
I'm trying to figure out my average mpg.
so I was just making sure. I find that many people don't know this simple calculation. (thumb)

Last edited:
You got it about right. Sorry, wasn't trying to doubt you, but you said this so I was just making sure. I find that many people don't know this simple calculation. (thumb)
Hahaha. I didn't take it wrong at all. I didn't mean to sound like a smart @ss if I came off that way. I thought maybe there was another way of tracking.

Well hopefully the meter gets better. I drove my car for a week and it seems like I'm having too many issues or dislikes for a new car. My steering wheel is off an inch. so most likely I'll need an alignment. Bought this car with just 5 miles. Lady at he dealer says there will be a shortage on cx5s soon. Something about all the cars are on hold at the shipping yard because of a recall. Supposedly mine wasn't affected.

I have found that my CX5 instrumentation agrees with my mpg calculation by +/- 0.5 mpg. I comared over many thousands of miles and now use only the instrumentation value as more than good enough. Ed

Hahaha. I didn't take it wrong at all. I didn't mean to sound like a smart @ss if I came off that way. I thought maybe there was another way of tracking.

Well hopefully the meter gets better. I drove my car for a week and it seems like I'm having too many issues or dislikes for a new car. My steering wheel is off an inch. so most likely I'll need an alignment. Bought this car with just 5 miles. Lady at he dealer says there will be a shortage on cx5s soon. Something about all the cars are on hold at the shipping yard because of a recall. Supposedly mine wasn't affected.
No worries, you didn't come off that way. I hope you get it settled. There have been some members who had issues and experiences right off the bat. Generally, that's fairly normal with every car maker. It's the luck of the draw, I suppose. "Do you feel lucky, punk?!" [emoji13]
The steering wheel is an issue. The wheel should not be crooked, and could indicate your CX-5 could have been in a minor hit with a large pothole or curve during a test drive. Or something possibly happened during shipping even. Most likely toe has been affected with a crooked wheel. I'd check with your dealer immediately and have them thoroughly check it out. Keep us informed. (thumb)
I have found that my CX5 instrumentation agrees with my mpg calculation by +/- 0.5 mpg. I comared over many thousands of miles and now use only the instrumentation value as more than good enough. Ed
My C5 Corvette was always off about 10% after calculating manually and I agree, the CX-5's readings are closer to actual MPG.

The computer scales the gas gauge based on your average mpg's. When I am driving around town I get less miles per unit(s), however when I was on my 3000mi trip they went down a lot slower and read back different values because I was getting about 30-50% more mpg.

The computer scales the gas gauge based on your average mpg's. When I am driving around town I get less miles per unit(s), however when I was on my 3000mi trip they went down a lot slower and read back different values because I was getting about 30-50% more mpg.
Are you saying there is no float in the gas tank? If so, this would be the first car I have heard of, since the original VW Beetle, without a float.

I am saying that what is readout on the gauge is scaled to your mpg. If driver A get 300 (or less)mi per tank and driver b gets 400mi per tank, at half their remaining miles will show a different value. The person with 300 miles per tnk may go 45 miles before 1 blip disappears from a full tank, while the 400 tank might go 60 before that blip disappears.

That sucks! If it helps, I wasn't having a perfect first week with my CX-5 either (although it doesn't help that my dealership isn't the best). My fog lights aren't working, so when I called my dealership to let them know about this, they told me to "wait until my plates come in for my 30 day inspection"—it's been 42 days now and still no sign of my plates being in. Instead of telling me to come in for them to look at it, they tell me... to wait... sigh.

When I went to go pick up my CX-5 for the first time (I had to wait when I first bought it because I wanted extra parts, like roof rails, for example), it was completely dead. They had to jump-start the car in front of me! I was peeved when they couldn't give me answers as to what could've happened or who was responsible.

:|

(burnout)I usually fill up as Mazda recommends at ~ 1/4 tank. I have however; decided to drive until the light gos on at ~ 1/8? tank. I find I can only put ~ 13.2 gallons in after the light goes on. 15.8-13.2= ~ 2.6 gallons reserve.

Last edited:
Bought this car with just 5 miles. Lady at he dealer says there will be a shortage on cx5s soon.

They told you this when you were about to buy the car? :D

Hey, I've got some prime real estate in the Everglades for sale, if you're interested.

I am saying that what is readout on the gauge is scaled to your mpg. If driver A get 300 (or less)mi per tank and driver b gets 400mi per tank, at half their remaining miles will show a different value. The person with 300 miles per tnk may go 45 miles before 1 blip disappears from a full tank, while the 400 tank might go 60 before that blip disappears.
That happens by definition, but I don't call that the gauge being scaled. The gauge represents a given amount of gas. How far you go on that one "blip" depends on how you drive. It has ever since the first gas gauge.

I get WhT you are trying to explain. But I highly doubt I was getting 140 miles before the first blip. Then went down to 15 miles per blip. I jus toumoed a full tank so I'll send how many miles before the first blip goes. Hopefully not 140 miles again. My car read 0 miles left. When I pumped I only got 12.6. So I assume at zero miles left 2.2 is co side red reserve. I think reserve needs to be included in the miles left. All well.

I think reserve needs to be included in the miles left. All well.

Mazda, along with most manufacturers hasn't done that with any vehicles for years. It's a safety bubble they put into the range. Imagine the lawsuits, warranty issues, and complaints they would receive when ignorant drivers they would run their cars down, run out of gas, kill their expensive fuel pumps, and complain with negativity to the company or forum even to others.

Latest posts

Back