Gas Cap Dangling?

b55er

2009 Mazda5 Sport AT
Where do you place the gas cap while refueling?

Every car that I've seen that has a tethered gas cap has a provision to mount it somewhere while refueling.

Thanks in advance

'09 M5 Sport

there should be a hook on the gas door and you place the plastic piece holding the cap around the hook on the door

My 08 came with a plastic piece that was attached from the cap to the filler. Note, I wrote that sentence in past tense. It has since separated from the filler, so now I thread the remains of the plastic piece through the fuel door when refueling.

there is a clip attached to the back of the fuel door that holds thr cap in place. But it does not hold it well.

Thanks for the replies.

So is this a plastic clip that is on the fuel door? I'm trying to visualize (the car happens to be at the dealer right for the 6th time for rear suspension noise)

If it is a plastic clip on the door, I don't have one.

There is a plastic tether from the filler to the cap, but no other plastic.

Purchased new in 2009, and this has been perplexing me since I bought the car.

This is what my door looks like (not my pict). So where does the cap go when I fill the tank? I've just let it dangle, but I'm uneasy that it will scratch the delicate paint of the 5.

Mazda5 Tank Door

Last edited:
I'm glad this post came up. I have had my Mazda5 for a couple of months now and always thought there was not any where to put the gas cap... Silly me. The pictures in the thread that mazdadude posted make sense. I'll have to give it a try next time I fill up gas.

lmao. apparently I'm not the only dumb-ass out there. haha! I've always been like where in the world does this thing go? Looking aimlessly for a conventional styled hook.

I had to do it to find out for myself...
IMG00042.jpg
EDIT: That was the stupidest ISH I ever wrote..of course I had to do it myself..LOL anyway. SUCCESS!!

Last edited:
lol it's a japanese car, they tend to think of lots of little details that us north americans cant see. the gas cap isn't obvious until you see it done. then you'll be wondering why you didn't try it. The japanese don;t put anything on a car unless it has a purpose!

they even have a coin holder ( presumably for tolls)that can go in one of the spots that have blank switches for us in NA

Last edited:
Back