Full Moon Fun Run - July 18, 2008

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
Gauging interest for now.

Same route and rules as our regular fun run, just 12 hours later in the day. The drive would depart at exactly sunset, 21:07, Friday, July 18, 2008.

For those not following the other threads, I made this run by myself last month under the full moon and it was simply amazing. Really added a whole new dimension to the same route.

Obviously we won't run if it's cloudy out. Have to have the moonlight. In the event of a moonless sky, the drive will be postponed until the following morning.

Keep in mind that this type of event will require a LOT more attention and observation than normal driving or even a normal fun run. You'll have to watch the road signs more carefully, keep an eye out for critters in the road and still try to look past your headlights. It's more dangerous, plain and simple. If you're not comfortable with that, nobody is going to look down on you for not participating.

Avast, me hearties! What say ye?! Arrr!

Event Info

Where: Northfield Roadhouse, 50 E North Territorial Rd, Whitmore Lake, MI 48189 (just west of U.S. 23)

When: 8:30 PM Friday, July 18 (leaving promptly at sunset, 9:07 PM. If you feel you will be late, don't. You will be left behind.)

Rules of Engagement

1. We will meet in the restaurant parking lot at the corner of N. Territorial and Whitmore Lake Rd. The group leaders will marshall cars towards the southwest corner of the parking lot, please help them out by moving quickly to where they ask. Thanks for your help in this.

2. Due to the limited amount of parking, anyone that is planning on NOT driving the event, do not leave your car at the restaurant. YOUR CAR MAY BE TOWED in this scenario. There is a "park and ride" lot across from the Sunoco on the east side of U.S. 23, please use this for leaving your vehicle. The end of the drive will be at a Subway a couple miles further North on US-23 and you can pick up your vehicle after that.

3. This event is NOT a race, act accordingly. We will be traveling at a spirited pace, but will not tolerate erratic driving or any type of driving that will endanger others. This means no passing in corners, no crossing double yellows to pass or in the process of cornering. Be safe, everyone will thank you for it. Anyone not capable of following this rule will asked to leave and find your own way home. Since this drive will be inherently more dangerous than a daytime drive, there will be no second chances.

4. The overall group will be broken up into groups of 5-6 cars each led by a group leader. The group leaders will set the pace for their group, but straightaway speeds will generally not exceed 65mph. If you plan on (or find yourself) driving substantially slower than the rest of your group, please fall to the back of the group so you don't detract from the experience of others. All group leaders will remain in contact via cell phones or walkie-talkies. If you have two-way radios, feel free to bring them to listen in to the directions and instructions but PLEASE DO NOT chatter unnecessarily on the radios.

5. If you fall behind, don't panic. The group leaders will wait for you to catch up at the next intersection or "T" in the route. If you miss a turn, we will try to send someone to retrieve you. If you're completely lost, call my cell number above and we'll try to map you out.

6. Show up with enough fuel to get you through 112 miles of high-consumption driving. There are both Shell and Sunoco stations near the starting point. We will stop once at The Pickett Fence (halfway point) for a bathroom break. We will be stopping once in Stockbridge for fuel/bathroom break/windshield cleaning, etc. If you're low on fuel during the drive, be sure to top off here. Should the need arise for whatever reason and you need to bail out from the event, Stockbridge is equidistant from both I-96 and I-94 on Highway 52.

7. This appoximately a 3-4 hour long event, so plan accordingly.

8. The end of the drive is the same as the start point.

Last edited:
Cool. With my Subie friend, that makes five, possibly six. Good enough for me. I've given up on the rest of the Lotus people. Seems like none of them want to drive. :confused:

1) Mazdaspeedster3 (08 MS3)
2) Mazdaspeedster3's Friend (06 MZ6)
3) zoomspeed3zoom (ian 07 MS3)
4) goldwing2000 (05 Elise)
5) goldwing2000's friend (03 WRX)

Hey, Ohio member here and I was wondering where in Michigan this was. I got a Pro5 so i'd prolly be the slowest one but s*** I think it would be great.

Edited the first post to add event info. There are a few changes between this and a daytime drive, so please read them again, even if you have read them before.

Thanks.

I'm in.

6) tunersteve (07 MS6)
7) tunersteve's friend (04 Focus SVT)

Now this has just prompted me to invest in my full HID setup sooner than I was planning. 8000k head/fog lights and I'll pave the way!

EDIT - One suggestion/request I have is that this drive be more restrictive than others. I'd say that maybe consider having it open only to drivers who have been on the route at least once before, just so they don't go into this blind (literally). Thoughts?

Last edited:
hmm, im liking steve's idea, and im installing my 6000k HID 50watt on thursday, were gonna be blinding each other lol

6) tunersteve (07 MS6)
7) tunersteve's friend (04 Focus SVT)
8) Willowofwisp (07 mz3)
9) willowofwisp freind (08 ms3 he rode passenger b4)

i'm interested too, if i'm not busy with school stuff. I dont understand what's so dangerous about driving at night... I drive from miami to michigan mostly at night. no big deal.

I just drove Naples to Michigan straight in March, 20.5hrs, the main danger of night driving is the damn cops in Ohio.

Personally, my biggest concern is someone not paying as much attention as they should and they go off road or hit someone. Since our sight line will be severely reduced, and the only real lighting we'll have is our own headlights and the moonlight. I've driven from MI to Myrtle Beach through the night, no problem...just keep plenty of energy drinks and a co-driver handy.

I know this will be a totally different type of drive and could potentially be dangerous with the spirited nature, thats why this time I'm going to pass because the first time I will be covering the course is for the upcoming fun drive. A co-driver works out great but I cant stand energy drinks and dont drink coffee so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to long hauls.

I know this will be a totally different type of drive and could potentially be dangerous with the spirited nature, thats why this time I'm going to pass because the first time I will be covering the course is for the upcoming fun drive. A co-driver works out great but I cant stand energy drinks and dont drink coffee so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to long hauls.

If you'd still like to go, you could ride along with me.

Back