Fuel Smell In Cabin

Keno1542

Yellow Jacket
:
Mazda MP3
I can smell fuel a lot in the cabin? What could be causing this? It appeared pretty suddenly.

Fuel leak is my guess. With the car off, do the fuel pump jumper wire trick (search) and go under the hood and start sniffin!

ok, ive been searching for like a 1/2 hour and cant find it. if i can find it or someone can point me towards it i will try it out tomorrow.

Are there any other possibilities of what is causing this?

It's in the FSM. Basically you short one of the diagnostic ports under the hood to ground and turn the key to run and it activates the fuel pump.

oh ok, i thought you meant to search on the forums for it...i will look in the FSM tonight and try it out tomorrow

Also, if you are boosted, make sure you are not boosting the gas tank due to lack of a one-way check valve. I had that issue, and it was putting a fuel smell out..

not boosted...but i noticed the smell is pretty random and occurs at random when i am stopped at a stop light

could also be the gasket under your backseat... if that area had been messed with and wasnt put back on correctly that would def be a gas smell

i know its an old thread but just wondering what you found out. im getting a leak from the top of the tank around the fuel pump area but havent determined if its the return line or a seal around the top of the pump

Back