Bad smell from air vents

:
2016 Mazda CX-9
Hey everyone,

So I’ve been noticing a weird moldy smell from the air vents every time I turn on the AC, mostly when the recirculating function is turned off. I changed the cabin air filter, and the smell is still there. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

Best,
Shawnee

Might be worth a shot.

I occasionally get the moldy smell too, but it's very brief and doesn't always happen. I've been meaning to do this but it just keep slipping my mind.

I strongly recommend this product:

Nextzett Cleaner (formerly Einszett)

I've used it before on a different vehicle and it works really well. Smells damn good too. Please note though that recommended use entails the removal of the blower or whatever way you'll get access to the coils, which is what the product/foam is meant to be applied on.

Might be worth a shot.

I occasionally get the moldy smell too, but it's very brief and doesn't always happen. I've been meaning to do this but it just keep slipping my mind.
So under the left wiper arm (while facing the vehicle) are a couple of holes; it’s visible upon opening the hood. Is that considered the plenum? Should I spray the Lysol disinfectant spray into those holes?

So under the left wiper arm (while facing the vehicle) are a couple of holes; it’s visible upon opening the hood. Is that considered the plenum? Should I spray the Lysol disinfectant spray into those holes?
Did you ever find out where exactly to spray into? I am wanting to do the same thing on my CX-9.

I haven't done the treatment, but I'd set the controls for outside air intake, the fan speed on high, and look and listen and feel for a place near the base of the wipers where the air is being pulled in. Then follow the directions. Or maybe set the air intake to recirculate, fan on high, and look under the dash for the place the air is being pulled in.

Also be sure the AC evaporator drain pan is draining and not clogged with goo. Some have success pulling the stuff out by connecting a shop vac to the drain tube, somewhere under the car under the foot area of the front seat area that should drip water from the drain tube. If the shop vac doesn't get the job done, it may be time to blow it clear with compressed air or an aerosol compressed air duster can.

A cabin air filter with activated charcoal may capture some smells, but it's not a replacement for killing the mold in the evaporator.

Back