FS-ZE spec

kep0ne

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
what would a person have to do to bring the MP3 FS motor to FS-ZE spec...as far as i know, pistons, intake cam, intake manifold...would we need a jspec ecu also? what about exhaust manifold? does the jspec manifold have a cat like ours? i am asking because i may be able to get these parts cheaper than normal, and may do this as an alternative to turbo

i also might got that route instead of a turbo. i feel it would be way less maintance and the car would last longer.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm still new to this whole import mods thing; but what is the FS-ZE spec? How much of a hp increase does it create?

fs-ze is the engine that was used in the MP3 manufactured for the asian market. the engine is supposed to exert 180hp rather than the 140hp engine we have. yeah.

The only "MP3" is what Mazda sent to the U.S. There is no Asian market MP3. There is a Sport-20 which would probably be the closest thing.

There is MP3 in Japan, and it is limited to 100 unit. Instead of MP3, it call Familia. It equiped with the FS-ZE engine, and 4WD. Also with the kenwood player, and racing hart rims(but it is Gold color).

Hold on for a ride thrill of your dream that you've been waiting for japan has came out with the 170hp fs-ze 4wd dohc 16-valve I-4 avatonic automatic transmission with hid halogen headlights. Supposely they say that's the replacement for the Mp3 in summer 2002-2003. If it comes to U.S. it'll only come as the Protege5 style wagon and maybe the sedan but there hoping the sedan style to. I don't know but i'm sure it will compete with the Sentra Se-R spec v, Svt focus, and the 2002 Honda Civic Si. :D lets just hope it does come to the U.S. even in teh sedan model. :D

Originally posted by tritonheat1:
<STRONG>Hold on for a ride thrill of your dream that you've been waiting for japan has came out with the 170hp fs-ze 4wd dohc 16-valve I-4 avatonic automatic transmission with hid halogen headlights. Supposely they say that's the replacement for the Mp3 in summer 2002-2003. If it comes to U.S. it'll only come as the Protege5 style wagon and maybe the sedan but there hoping the sedan style to. I don't know but i'm sure it will compete with the Sentra Se-R spec v, Svt focus, and the 2002 Honda Civic Si. :D lets just hope it does come to the U.S. even in teh sedan model. :D</STRONG>

It's not gonna happen..I don't think Mazda would release a 4-wd vehicle unless it had the potential to compete with WRX. It would be worse if it come only in an automatic. Of course this is just my opinion.

I don't think we'll ever see HID come on a sud $22k vehicle. HID are reserved for the higher models. I do however, know a company that sells Philips HID kits for $399 :D. Give em a another 5 month's and I bet they'll be down to $350. Too bad APC doesn't make projector styled headlamps for our cars. Projectors put out better light than conventional headlamps. Well, in most cases they do.

Oh to answer the question of this topic. Just grab the FS-ZE pistons, FS-ZE intake cam, Mazdaspeed exhaust cam, use a Mazdaspeed header, and that should do it for now. I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the power. I personally will choose the boosted route over NA anyday. While they're installing the pistons, you could also have the head ported and polished. Would give 10+hp on the higher end of the rev band. :)

Ok, a little info for you interested in teh FSZE. This is the J-Spec version of the 4 cylinder Probe engine. Yes, it does have some J-Spec parts, and those include the ECU, cams, intake manifold, and like your MP3 engine, it has VRIS. Of course, you MP3 guys get that anyway, but us Probe guys got the short end of that stick. The internals are, despite popular belief, the same as US Spec engines. Pistons, crank and rods are all the same. Oh yeah, the exhaust manifold is different due to the fact that there is no EGR on the JSpec engines.

Here is the low down on them. Many have tried to install them, but not a lot of people have come through with positive responses. You're better off to find an old Probe in a yard and totally build up the engine. There are people around that have done the swap into a Probe and apparently there is extra HP, but those engines are very finnicky and tough to tune. They apparently come with some cool J-Spec stuff, and lots more problems...

Just my $0.02.... :D

the pistons are the same? i was under the impression that they had 10.5:1 compression for the jdm ones...and im pretty sure the mp3 engines dont run compression that high. i may be wrong...ill have to look up some info

Well, I know that the Probe pistons are the same between the 4cyl and V6, and the Jspec V6 has the same pistons as the US Spec V6, so I am pretty sure that the J Spec 4cyl has the same pistons as the rest... ;)

john....u are definately wrong on that on.....the j-spec is 10:5:1 or it maybe 10:7:1..i believe there are 2 high comp piston sets for our car..our 2.0 4 cyl is only 9:5:1.....glad to help

Originally posted by OceanPark:
<STRONG>There is MP3 in Japan, and it is limited to 100 unit. Instead of MP3, it call Familia. It equiped with the FS-ZE engine, and 4WD. Also with the kenwood player, and racing hart rims(but it is Gold color).</STRONG>

The Familia is what all Japanese "Proteges" are called over there. Got any pics??? It is also called the 323 still in other countries, such as Australia.

And all-wheel drive is an option on almost all Familias...Sedan and wagon...

Was it even called MP3??

The Sport 20 is considered the ultimate Familia/Protege/323 there is. This year it is going to be both a sedan and wagon...So, I still hold to no Asia spec MP3...

As for coming to the U.S., probably not. The next Protege (4th gen) isn't supposed to be out unitl 2003.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: ChrisS ]

Sorry John, but the gentleman are correct.

The Mazdaspeed pistons will give a 10.7, and the J-spec is the latter, while the FS-DE for the Protege is 9.1.

Later, Rishie

I say, you shoulda bought a WRX if you're gonna go spending that much all together.

The only way to break even is to sell your motor and ecu to a LX, DX or something and buy the FS-ZE with it's ecu and do it right.

This way you only pay the difference, probably labor.

Rishie

Something I contemplated, but then I'd buy a WRX. I got this for looks and fuel economy. RWD is a true drive by the ass feel, hence the RX7's.

Back