front grille

mymp5

:
Mazda Protege 5
today i noticed that my subwoofers were hitting louder than i thought my front grille rattles and for all i know to fix that noise i have to take off the bumper just to take the grill off so i can put a piece of weather stripping on it is that true plz tell me that i dont have to take off the front bumper

Ahh.. i'm confused by reading your post. I think if you are having issues with your sub, this post would be better in the audio section. I'm going to move it and maybe someone there can help you. :)

front bumper removal isn't THAT difficult. It IS possible to use some RTV silicone depending on teh exact location, but mostly, welcome to the wonderful world of rattle chasing. Next, I recommend getting at your muffler guard.

If the p5 bumper is anything like the regular protege's bumper, then you might be able to remove the grille without a bumper removal. It would be about 4 philips head screws, 2 clips, and a bit of prying.

2003protege said:
If the p5 bumper is anything like the regular protege's bumper, then you might be able to remove the grille without a bumper removal. It would be about 4 philips head screws, 2 clips, and a bit of prying.

Actually, there are just three rivet clips on the bottom of the grille and two on top under the hood. After you remove those it'll just lift out. The best way to get the bottom ones out is to use a small flat head screwdriver through the grille holes and pop the rivet pins up. Careful not to lose those by prying too hard.

You know what...I had my hood up and my subs turned up today and I heard something rattling in the front, it was acually my radiator fan. Are you sure its your grill? Is it comming loose? Can you see the grill move?

yes but do i have to take the bumper off just to take off the grille thats all i need to know. i just hope that i don't have to take the bumper off

nope, open the hood, undo the screws on each side of the top, pull clips out, pull up and toward yourself at the same time and it will come off.

i took the two srews out and then pulled the clips out but what about the other two that go into the radiator support beam you would have to pull out not up you know what i mean or am i confusing you if you want i will send pics

mymp5 said:
i took the two srews out and then pulled the clips out but what about the other two that go into the radiator support beam you would have to pull out not up you know what i mean or am i confusing you if you want i will send pics

no, I know what ya mean. Those are just to hold it in place, the only reason why your grill is still stuck in place is because of the 3 pegs on the bumper, they go into the holes in the bottom of the girll. Man I wish I had this problem lol, I can hardly get my grill to stay on. Grab the front top of the grill, closest to you, pull it foreward untill those 2 parts are almost all the way out and then with your thumbs though the openings in the front of the grill pull up, it should come right off.

i just about ripped my whole front end off trying to remove this bitc of a grille. so after u do the two screws on the ends, and the plastic locking screws that are like door panel screws. u jus pull up? how do the white clips i see on the ends disengage? what three clips are on the bottom?b also when i pull, i bend the two beams that make the V from the bumper to the hood.

then i may need to know how the remove the chrome peice,which is wat i really need to do is there a way to remove it w/o removing the entire grille?

ok i got the bastard out of determination. i have a 99-00 we have 4 clips holding the silver peice.

- - - -
g b b g

g=good
b= broke

So you got the grill off? Mine is broke to hell and back so im sure its not as bad as yours lol. Those things are a pain in the ass, but once you get it off for the first time its easier next time.

mymp5, hows urs going? Get the damn thing off yet? lol

i am actually going to try to night wish me luck i am hearing all these horror storys and then you all still want me to ry to take it off lol but i will keep you all informed thanks

looking sexy. i hope it doesnt chip bad.

Attachments

• IMG00003.JPG
    IMG00003.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 622
lol, it should be like a 2 min job guys, bring the car down to the winterpalooza and ill take it off:)

Back