Freshly Painted Build

livetoride

:
03 Protege ES
Well, two weekends ago I finally had everything together to repaint my car. The car has been lowered with a front lip installed for a few years and I had finally got my hands on a set of side skirts and rear lip to finish it off. After the winter last year I had discovered some large paint chips off the doors and I was beginning to get quite the rust around the windshield. Lucky for me my Aunt recently had become certified as a painter and had just finished building her shop on her property and the paint booth was up and ready to go. This was only the second vehicle she had sprayed since finishing school so it was a good opportunity for her to practice and for me to get a cheap full paint job, but I did have to help out. Over the 3 days for this to happen I put in about 42 hours. There are still some touch ups to be done that I am going to go do in a couple weeks and add 2 more coats of clear to the car. Here's a breakdown of the process, I tried to take lots of pics.

I left the pics as links because they are too large to insert into the post. You can see in the pics the chips off the doors, hood is quite pitted and the parts started coming off. Both bumpers, door handles, lights, grill, hood, trunk...and the windshield....:( After some sanding and some TLC, under the glass was resealed with a sealer that has a rust protection additive that etches into the metal to help stop the spread. Looks much better.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
So after the windshield area was taken car of, new glass went back in we sprayed some quick coats of paint. It would have been nice to leave the glass out but the guy that came to the shop to do it for me was going on holidays so it had to go in right away or it would be over a week until he was back.

With that taken care of, I started getting the car ready, sanding.....sanding.....and more sanding.....got the side skirts ready for paint. There were a few rough spots to fill in on the skirts as they came off a wrecked P5 but for $75 hand delivered to my house, I was happy. Due to the pitting in the hood I had to take it right down to the metal in order to reseal it as there was a bit of rust developing in these pits. After the hood was resealed and primed things started to go into the booth...

Attachments

• IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
With the car all prepped and sanded, the wrapping started. After a long day from 8am until 1:30am the car was ready for paint. I took a few pieces from the interior that had been scuffed and scratched up from daily use and figured I would make them nice and shiny again. I had to leave the rear doors open as there was a bit of rust on the bottom of the doors on the inside so I wanted to take care of it. By 7am the paint was flying....

Attachments

• IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
By this point I was getting pretty tired and ready to be done so the picture taking slowed down. Rear bumper all done with the lip bolted on and the final product all done and rinsed off after another 13 hour day and I still had a 2 hour drive to get home....It was definitely a ton of work but totally worth it. I have pulled the muffler up to line up better with the cutout on the lip since it was all done. I love the removed emblems on the trunk and the Evil M on the grill.

I have to get some new fog lights, they have been broken since I got the car but they always worked so I didn't replace them and I wanna remove the amber lens from the headlights and I might smoke a set of tail lights I have sitting around and clear them when I go do touch ups but I haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    808 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_1602black.JPG
    IMG_1602black.JPG
    735.1 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
cool! can't wait to see some pics of the final product! I recently painted my lip kit on my car all my own and since then I've done a couple of paint jobs for a few friends. It's kind of a cool process and no matter how big of a pain in the rear the job may seem, it's always worth it in the end.

I would of took the opportunity to change the stock color but the job looks good man!

Back