Freshly detailed MSP! + mini review

Rally Ninja

:
MSP
My first full exterior detail job lastnight and didn't finish until this morning when I put the last coat of wax on. 6hrs to do it all!
This is what I did:
Wash - OTC soap
Clayed - OTC Clay magic: seems to work well enough, paint felt very smooth and slick after use.
Wash - OTC soap
Swirl remover - Pinnicle XMT 1,2, or 3 : Did not dust up, Didn't get all the swirls out of the car but I may need to try a stronger pad. Pleasent smell to them.
Polish - Jeffs Werkstatt Prime:Strong : Started to see a nice smooth and "wet look" out of it after applying. Applying and removing product was very easy.
Sealant - Jeffs werkstatt Acrylic Jett: WOW, the metallic did "PoP" and I got a wet look that I've never gotten before with P21S. Very impressive stuff. Only downfall was that it dried and left streaking and took LOTS of elbow grease to wipe off. Next time I will take the product off after I finish a panel.
Wax - Pinnicle Liquid Soveran: I didnt get a sweet a slickness witht he Sealent so I added this wax. It made the paint slick as can be. This is a very nice wax. It now hurts to look at the car when the sun is out. Very reflective.

Tools:
Porter cable 7336: First time using it, made applying wax and stuff so much more easy. Did have problems with my wrist hurting, but it was due to not holding it properly. No pain the second day I used it. Well worth the $42

Edge 2000 White, Blue, Orange pads: Pads are very good and I love the easy removable system it uses.
The Shmitt was mitt: It was wierd using at first, didn't glide over the paint as easily as a normal wash mitt. Got use to it and love the backside for taking off bugs and tar.
Cobra Micro fiber towel: Very impressed with this drying towel, Didn't have to wring it out until halfway through the second wash. This damn thing can suck up water a lot better than my old shammy

1.jpg

This was in the shade after Pinnicle wax
2.jpg

Big scratch I can't take out. too deep. This is after Werkstatt Acrylic Jett
3.jpg

After pinnicle in the sun:
4.jpg

Here is some of the products I used:
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Before pic:
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

After sealent, waiting for it to cure to apply wax the next day:
13.jpg

Last edited:
Looks too many shiny. Nice can't wait to throw a clay bar at mine soon.

(eekdance) I wish I had such nice products to work with, great job. :)
I spent the better part of today detailing my engine bay. My hands are all torn up but it was worth it, I hadn't done in in a while. :)

Wow man, you spent 6 hrs overnight detailing? That's pretty serious stuff, and the results are amazing. Nice! :)

Wonder if a 2nd coat of wax would be overkill? can't wait to put the volk wheels on once it stops raining every other day. Then it'll be bling bling!

looks nice! how many coats of Souv did you use? nothing wrong with using claymagic. it is OTC but it is also the original clay that all others emulate.
you could probably cut out some time but cutting down on the steps. did you use all 3 steps in the XMT? with the XMT i don't think you worked it long enough/or had too much product. it will take out scratches well. also if it didn't dust you were not working it long enough/or you had too much product. trust me that stuff dusts a lot! I have pretty much quit using my XMT products. you could have used XMT 3 and then gone to Prime strong and eliminate some steps. 4 polishing steps is too many unless you have some serious issues on the finish.

well anyway you did a good job. just a few ideas to help you cut down on time.

I only used a few XMT products, If it looked like it needed XMT3 I used that then went to XMT 1 to get it ready for Prime:strong. I sprayed down the pads with XMT conditioner and thats suppose to help with any dusting. For most of the panals I used XMT 2 only and went straight to Prime:strong. I may need to work the product in more next time and see if I can't get better results. Thanks for the tip.

I also have XMT4 comming soon! I'll have to get some practice on it first before I use it on my car lol.

Since your not using XMT, what are you using now?

Rally Ninja said:
I only used a few XMT products, If it looked like it needed XMT3 I used that then went to XMT 1 to get it ready for Prime:strong. I sprayed down the pads with XMT conditioner and thats suppose to help with any dusting. For most of the panals I used XMT 2 only and went straight to Prime:strong. I may need to work the product in more next time and see if I can't get better results. Thanks for the tip.

I also have XMT4 comming soon! I'll have to get some practice on it first before I use it on my car lol.

Since your not using XMT, what are you using now?

XMT 3 works ok. XMT 1 is so weak. You could go from XMT3 to prime no problem. Prime is kind of an all-in-one. It has protection in it, and AJ is a protectant. So after those 2 you would not even need Souv. The Werkstatt stuff should last you about 5 months depending on conditions. The Souv however will look better. I am getting some XMT4 also to try it out. But I use Optimum Polymer Technologies for almost all of my polishing. There is almost no dust. It dusts less than anything I have ever used (I use the XMT pad conditioner too). I also use Menzerna a lot. However it is very expensive so I am going with OPT a lot more now. If you like Prime I think you will love Optimum Poly-seal. Stuff is amazing. OPT stuff has become my main line. I get more product for my money and it works great. But I do use other products. I use Werkstatt and Clearkote a lot for certain jobs. I have other stuff but it gets minimal use. Those are my main lines. Menzerna comes out for hard paints, OPT for just about anything. Well thats my polishing and compounding products. Hope that helps.

Once you have used the XMT stuff a bit more it well get very easy. I like the stuff, just don't like the dust and don't like the #1. I will use 2 and 3 and then go to a finishing polish instead of #1. Prime strong makes a good finish plus it protects so you are good to go there.

I've been looking at that poly-seal stuff because AJ is so finicky. So Poly seal takes the place of Prime and AJ?

I know I don't really need souveran but I really like the added look and slickness that it gives over the other product.

Rally Ninja said:
I've been looking at that poly-seal stuff because AJ is so finicky. So Poly seal takes the place of Prime and AJ?

I know I don't really need souveran but I really like the added look and slickness that it gives over the other product.

hey i'm with you. i love souv. its good stuff.

poly-seal can take the place of both AJ and Prime strong. However i don't think poly-seal will have the durability of AJ. i like poly-seal better than prime strong. poly-seal is a great one step product for finishes that have minor issues. it cuts light to some moderate swirls and has great pop! no fillers or anything, smells great, NO dust, VERY easy to use and it protects. it has carnauba in it. you can use AJT over poly-seal. don't know about AJ. I prefer to use AJT. just a preferance. you can use just about any sealant (carnauba, acrylic, polymer, etc) over OPS. you may just have to buff it a bit more depending on the product you pick....such as AJ.

i'll see if i still have some pics of poly-seal in action.

I cant seem to get all the small scratches out, even with XMT3 and Green edge pad.

Have you had any experience with Optimum line of Compounds and polish?

I have OP on the way as well as some AJT! Didn't know if I should go with Hypercompound or just the regular one.

XMT takes so long to get ANY results, I hope optimum takes a lot less time.

yah, 6 hrs is nothing!

Here's what my trunk looks like, with a 10" sub and all my detailing supplies:

0.jpg

When I first got my PC and my MR2, I spent about 10-15 hours on the paint getting it to shine again! And the same thing for my last daily driver, a faded ass 91 Integra!

Looking good, what taillights are those? (I'm still kinda new to the Mazda/Protege "scene)

wat does the monkey do? lol
blue-sun said:
yah, 6 hrs is nothing!

Here's what my trunk looks like, with a 10" sub and all my detailing supplies:

0.jpg

When I first got my PC and my MR2, I spent about 10-15 hours on the paint getting it to shine again! And the same thing for my last daily driver, a faded ass 91 Integra!

Looking good, what taillights are those? (I'm still kinda new to the Mazda/Protege "scene)

LOL I was wondering about the monkey as well. Would probably leave a streak free shine to the windows. $$$ business opportunity! Microfiber window monkey!

Taillights are normal MSP ones with red overlay on the pink lense. ( previous owner did that)

Rally Ninja said:
I cant seem to get all the small scratches out, even with XMT3 and Green edge pad.

Have you had any experience with Optimum line of Compounds and polish?

I have OP on the way as well as some AJT! Didn't know if I should go with Hypercompound or just the regular one.

XMT takes so long to get ANY results, I hope optimum takes a lot less time.

I think you will be very pleased with OP. I have no problem getting a great finish with OP. XMT3 with an agressive pad like the green will probably not get fine scratches out. It might infact induce a bit of maring of its own. I use LC pads, but if you use OP with the edge green or orange and then another pass with the white pad you should get what you are looking for. No need for Hyper unless you have some serious stuff to work out. Start out the least agressive as you can and work up from there if you don't get what you are after.

Back