Free (or real cheap) custom tune for someone in the San Antonio, TX area...

Same here. :(

Maybe he will come up with an option sooner than later. I'm washing my hands of it and moving on. I put in the request this morning to cancel my order and asked for a refund.

It is likely I'm returning this 5 back to stock and moving on to the next project. Look for items in the FS section soon......

Rodslinger, will you be parting the turbo kit? I would be interested in the small bits and pieces. Can understand if you want to sell it as a kit though.

Rodslinger, will you be parting the turbo kit? I would be interested in the small bits and pieces. Can understand if you want to sell it as a kit though.

I will most likely be selling intact. If I separate I may pull out the FIC and the AEM gauge for someone that wants a raw kit to use with a DT tune (if they can get it)....

Ah man, that really is a bummer. Why is it that you want to move Ito a different project? Isn't it running on?

Maybe he will come up with an option sooner than later. I'm washing my hands of it and moving on. I put in the request this morning to cancel my order and asked for a refund.

It is likely I'm returning this 5 back to stock and moving on to the next project. Look for items in the FS section soon......
:( and you haven't had you setup long either. Why are you moving on so soon? Is something not right or do have something that you desire more?

If the Mz5 was my DD again, Id would go for your kit but sadly it is not. At least the mods/turbo will live on, hopefully to another member here.

It has been in there about a year and a half. I did the install on Thanksgiving 2012. I've had no issues with it other than a P2096 catalyst efficiency code. That went away after I installed a high flow catalyst in the downpipe. Code went away and can also pass visual/plug-in emissions testing. I went into this expecting issues but it has honestly been a good experience. Driveability is much better than stock, fuel economy has gone up and when I need to pass.... I pass......

I'm partial to keeping it but need to keep focus on larger things in life. I'm not traveling as much. Maybe once every six weeks versus every week. And most of that is by plane. When I'm not traveling I work from home. My wife has a Chevy Sonic and I also have a 2011 Dakota. I'd rather keep the 5 but do tow a trailer about once a week so between the two, the Dakota wins that argument.

I also have another house and a condo. Both need some minor kitchen updating. I'd rather use free cash from selling the 5 versus pulling money out of savings or running on credit. On top of that my wife's birthday is coming up later this year. She had a Mustang in college and reminds me sometimes how much she misses it. Am thinking about getting her one when the 2015's release. I'll take the Sonic as my daily and maybe start playing with it a little.

And a year or two down the road I'll probably end up in another Mazda as I have for the past 20 years. Thinking of another manual trans 5. Maybe try a 2.3 DI/turbo swap with 6-speed auto out of a wrecked CX-7 to make a proper tourer.

that sucks to hear. I also have not heard from Joe since I picked the car up a few weeks back.... it really sucks because i was without my car for 2 weeks for nothing if he doesnt get on top of this

that sucks to hear. I also have not heard from Joe since I picked the car up a few weeks back.... it really sucks because i was without my car for 2 weeks for nothing if he doesnt get on top of this

It may not be entirely dead. There is a possibility he'll finish the tune for the 06-2010 models if there are a few interested purchasers. I've asked for a real and committed time estimate so I could let you know.

Anyone near San Antonio that has a stock intake I can have/ trade for my cai plus a little cash?

When do you need it? My stock intake will be available after July 12. "D-day" for the turbo...

It may not be entirely dead. There is a possibility he'll finish the tune for the 06-2010 models if there are a few interested purchasers. I've asked for a real and committed time estimate so I could let you know.

FYI:
Joe (DT owner / operator / one-man-show) has hired an employee, Matt aka "OrangeVirus". So Joe (DT) has some help now, but OV has a really bad rep on at least one group/board I'm familiar with for his tunes damaging client's engines previously. Whether or not he has learned how to tune or not remains to be seen I guess. At least from the one-sided story I've heard, I hope Joe micro manages this really closely for the foreseeable future.

FYI:
Joe (DT owner / operator / one-man-show) has hired an employee, Matt aka "OrangeVirus". So Joe (DT) has some help now, but OV has a really bad rep on at least one group/board I'm familiar with for his tunes damaging client's engines previously. Whether or not he has learned how to tune or not remains to be seen I guess. At least from the one-sided story I've heard, I hope Joe micro manages this really closely for the foreseeable future.

I've communicated with OV in the past on items and didn't have any issues. Hopefully with the right tools and some guidance he can help DT out in a positive way. As of now I have a questionable opinion of DT. While I think his cabalities and intentions are good, I felt he is taking on more than they are capable of producing and creating issues with all the delays. Communication has also been very poor. I bought my tune on a group buy and after a year, didn't have anything to show for it. That I can deal with. Appears the rest of the 3 owners on the GB are still waiting on final or near final tunes 6 months later. But when I asked for a refund on his stated guarantee there were new stipulations involved. Probably woudln't have bothered me if the guy just told me he made a mistake, wasn't clear and asked for me to help out with part of a license fee. Instead it was basically "I'm keeping this amount, tough s***". I think the approach wasn't very honorable.

I'm not sure if I felt like I got slapped or relieved. Even though my 5 is now supported, how long would it take to get the actual tune done especially since I was boosted. There are guys on the 3 board that are six months into it still waiting for final or near final tunes. I don't think any of them were FI cars either. Hoping for the sake of DT reputation he gets some help in there to improve turn around time.

I had the same type of tune done on my wife's Sonic, my last Sentra Spec-V and my last Dodge Dakota. All from different vendors. They all took about two weeks max from start to finish. I had one correction done on the Sonic a few months back. Got an adjustment about two days after sending the log file. That's how it should be.

Did the lack of readily available flash tuning factor in significantly to your decision to de-turbo the car?

My experience started slowly - it took a couple weeks to get the ME software running, and then over a month to have Joe "crack" the ECU (find & define tables, whatever else is involved), but since then turn around has been pretty quick. He usually gets me a new file within 3-4 days of me sending in a log, though one time it did take 10 (calendar) days.

I've been through almost 10 files so far, and the number of iterations hasn't bugged me. It takes only minutes to download a file via email and upload to the ECU. I have a perfect drive to work route that includes about even portions of residential neighborhood, congested highway, open highway, and rural road where I can do my WOT pulls. So I can load a tune, drive to work (to stabilize learning values and fuel trims), then log on my way home that day and send the file in that evening. I don't mind going through many files in case he's a perfectionist or overly meticulous - it's not like he's charging more per file.

He's asked for feedback on a couple of the files - "Did you like this?" or "What did you think of that?", but overall the communication could be a little better. I'd like to know what he "did" in this file or that file - the "under the hood" kind of stuff. Not his proprietary tuning method, but just the general gist of things like, "I reduced spark timing during tip-in" or "I cut some fuel during overrun", that type of thing.

I'm not sure if I felt like I got slapped or relieved. Even though my 5 is now supported, how long would it take to get the actual tune done especially since I was boosted. There are guys on the 3 board that are six months into it still waiting for final or near final tunes. I don't think any of them were FI cars either. Hoping for the sake of DT reputation he gets some help in there to improve turn around time.

I had the same type of tune done on my wife's Sonic, my last Sentra Spec-V and my last Dodge Dakota. All from different vendors. They all took about two weeks max from start to finish. I had one correction done on the Sonic a few months back. Got an adjustment about two days after sending the log file. That's how it should be.

well, since you bring it up; I told you we were working on your ecu platform, and that we would figure it out. I also told you it was not a high priority sine YOUR version of the 5 is NOT the standard version.

And, so its understood, there is really never a "final" version of a calibration for any customer. If you send us logs, for your car, we will adjust it for any changes you make in the car, and we will apply the very latest updates to your file free of charge. The reason for this is quite simple; we are almost constantly on the dyno with a mazda, and almost all of the MZRs react (within reason)the same to basic changes like cam tables etc. When we find something on one platform, we try it on the sister platforms, and if the results are positive, we then port it out to our current customers as they send in data. We always thought this made us a step or two higher up the later than the "one size fits all" guys!

Back