fog light to driving light conversion

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Has anybody converted he stock fog lights to driving lights? The current fog lights seem to be more decorative than useful. Driving lights in conjunction with high beams would see more use in my instance.

I have removed the foglights and installed some cheap Amazon projectors. Course I had to do some(a lot) modifications to the original plastic bracket, I have made some small aluminum bracket and some aluminum bushings. Though I should modify these a bit, because the projectors are not protruding enough and they are off center from the cutout. I have just guesstimated the measurements initially. It's not that bad to be worth redoing them.
Somebody was saying in the reviews, that the chromed beauty ring would rust, so just to be on the safe side, I have machined some aluminum trim rings and pressed them on.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826557-What-Did-You-Do-for-Your-CX-5-Today/page102

Last edited:
Has anybody converted he stock fog lights to driving lights? The current fog lights seem to be more decorative than useful. Driving lights in conjunction with high beams would see more use in my instance.

Does the touring have single bulbs for high/low or are they separate? The reason I ask is that in most states its illegal to have more the 4 bulbs lit up at anyone time. So having fogs always on with both high and low beam bulbs would be illegal.

Does the touring have single bulbs for high/low or are they separate? The reason I ask is that in most states its illegal to have more the 4 bulbs lit up at anyone time. So having fogs always on with both high and low beam bulbs would be illegal.
In the US, CX-5 Touring with halogen headlights use H11 for low-beam and HB3 (9005) for high-beam/DRL. So they are separate and have their own projector/reflector.

Ive been thinking about getting these. According to the below, they are direct fit.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

This page features a newly designed HID compatible projector lens fog lights that are perfect for enthusiasts who want to upgrade their halogen fog lights to HID with a good beam pattern like OEM projector headlights! These 2.5" projector fog lights are finely crafted with an optical glass projector with a metal case, so that it's the perfect candidate for people who want to install HID with a sharp cut-off line.

Other lamps on the market are made with plastic so they can only use halogen. These iJDMTOY projector fog lights are suitable as an HID-ready application so you can get that crisp HID look. Since the main purpose of these projector fog lamps is to install with HID, there is no bulb included.

This set of HID-ready projector fog lights is compatible with the following Mazda to replace its original fog lamps:

2010-2015 Mazda2
2004-2015 Mazda3 (w/ round fogs)
2005-2010 Mazda5
2006-2008, 2011-2014 Mazda6
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6
2006-2015 Mazda MX-5/Miata
2004-2006 Mazda MPV
2013-2015 Mazda CX-5
2007-2009 Mazda CX-7
2013 Mazda CX-9
Features
Projector fog lights with H11 HID compatible design
2.5 inch size, DOT SAE compliant with finely crafted optical glass projector and metal case so it's great for people who intend to upgrade their fog lights to HID with cut off line
Replace OEM Part Numbers MA2592108 MA2593108 LE45-51-690C LE46-51-680C
Since the purpose of this application is to install with HID, there is no bulb included

Mazda-OEM-Fit-Projector-03.jpg

Mazda-OEM-Fit-Projector-06.jpg

Last edited:
Back