Fluid Changes: Is my dealer charging to much?

SashaPave

:
08 CX-9
Hi all, I just dropped off my 2008 CX-9 touring AWD for service. It's out of warranty, 55,000 miles, and I wanted to change 3 fluids. Here is the cost:

Oil & Filter: $34
Transmission replace fluid (flush): $188
Transaxle replace fluid: $178

The dealer is Oakland Mazda (local dealer).

Does this sound right?

I've got to learn how to do this stuff myself!

Also, I'm looking for a good independent shop in my area if anyone is local and has advice.

Thanks in advance,
Sasha in Oakland

Last edited:
The oil and filter seem reasonable. I spend that much to do it myself using synthetic. Not sure on the others as I still have not done that on our 07 with 53k. The manual doesn't state anything about changing the tranny oil and mine still looks nice and red. Also, I just checked with my local dealer and they want $189 for the tranny change as well. That must be the standard Mazda rate.

Last edited:
Transmission replace fluid (flush): $188
Transaxle replace fluid: $178

Those two are the same things. Technically, a RWD car has a transmission, and a FWD (or a FWD-based AWD) car has a transaxle. One of them needs to say "Rear Differential replace fluid", or else they're charging you twice for the transaxle fluid. And both amounts are too much (IMO) for rear diff fluid.

Sasha, I think both are a bit high compared to OakTree Mazda in San Jose.
I had both done at below $150.
Oil change for $34 seems like a norm these days, but sometimes I get $29.95 from OakTree Mazda's
ads. However, San Jose is a bit far for you.
I live in Fremont, but I don't go to Fremont Mazda.
They are always more expensive.

Thanks everyone! The engine oil change is reasonable, and I expected the transmission flush to come in around there.

I picked up the car today and it came in a bit lower than estimated (never happened to me before!).

Engine oil: 41.85
"Transmission Service": $197
"Perform Differnal Service" (sic): $127.80

The spec "Trans Fluid" and "80/90 Gear Lube" on separate lines.

Thanks for the tip about OakTree Mazda Ceric! For dealer service I'll take it there next time. For just normal stuff I'm hoping I can find a local independent who knows their way around modern Mazdafords :)

Engine oil change is a little high. the trans service is what i paid also. The diff service i haven't done yet. I want to know when that needs to be done? i only have 41k on the clock. If you want to see if the dealer has service coupons go to mazdausa.com that is what i do and that is how i have gotten all of my service done on the cheap except for the trans fluid which was not on the website.

Differential fluid change is recommended at 28K for heavy use (short trips, towing, etc).
It does not mention the schedule for non-heavy use, so between 30k-40k should be reasonable.

If they just change the diff oil that is ridiculous. Maybe they flush it out too somehow? I don't know. Cost me 10 bucks to change diff fluid myself. Not hard to do at all if you have a nice jack and some jack stands. Don't forget the washers for the plugs though, they say those need changed too. Got some for nothing from the guy at the parts counter.

Back